Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Shadowlands and Tellynott  (Read 4459 times)

GPdemayo

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlands and Tellynott
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it come together in it's new home Mark. Good looking train room and great planning.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
Hi guys, great to have you all following along!

Janbouli - I was very restrained when we moved in here and kept all my models and dioramas in their boxes until I had finished the room and the bench-work.  This was extremely difficult for me - but I knew if I got things out I would just be double handling.

Dennis - yes - I love busy!  Especially when it comes to urban scenes.  That's one of the reasons I love modelling at grade - space is always at a premium and things get crammed in almost on top of each other.

Mike - yes - we have to remind ourselves that if it wasn't for all the earthquakes we wouldn't have that lovely mountain range falling to the Tasman Sea.  There are several towns on the West Coast that sit right on top of the Alpine fault line.

Gregory - thanks.  I enjoy the planning, and it was also nice to do the whole room myself.

Photo 1 - here I am trying some 1:1 scale modelling - checking out the views, feel and spaces between and around Tellynott.
Photos 2 and 3 - My father gave me a hand with this one.  We used box section and plate section which he welded together and drilled holes in using a template to make 'shoes'.  I then filed and painted the shoes and doctored the timber legs to a tight fit, hammered the shoes pictured in the first photo onto the legs and drilled and bolted these and then bolted the wheels to the 'shoes'.  Two fixed at one end and two swivel at the other end of each layout section.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
Mark, I like that idea of the leg's...... Dennis

PRR Modeler

• Modeling the Pennsy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
Very ingenious Mark.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
Hey Mark:

beautiful job.

Karl

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 03:22:45 AM »
Thanks guys!

Curt and Dennis - The wheels worked very well.  They also made moving the sections around while working on the backdrops and ceilings so much easier!

Karl - Thanks so much for the compliment.

The next step was to build the bench-work.  I started by adding the backdrop and ceilings to the two sections which made up the original L-shaped Tellynott layout.  I cantilevered the ceilings 8 inches past the layout edge to give good lighting at the front of the layout.  I used 20mm clear pine and 2.75 and 4.5mm thick MDF.  Once this was completed I built the two new layout benck-work sections and added the ceiling sections.  I had to make up the corner sections as separate pieces because of the difficulty, complexity and weight involved.  The corners, because of their construction, prevented sag at the front of the layout ceilings because to pull down on one end meant the opposite end had to lift up.  Once all the sections were completed with their fascia and all bolted together they were very self supporting and apart from the ceiling over the peninsula (which I always intended to hang from the ceiling of the room) I deemed only one other part of the layout ceiling in need of extra support by way of a chain from the room ceiling.

Photo 1 - one of the corner sections.  I built the ceiling and walls as one piece.  Slots were cut in the layout bench top and the 2x1 pine studs slipped down these until the backdrop met with the bench top.  There was a lot of careful cutting and measuring.
Photo 2 - one of the new bench-work sections completed.
Photo 3 - a view from above showing the corner section fitted.
Photo 4 - the peninsula ceiling section held at the right height with some makeshift props.
Photo 5 - the props removed and the ceiling section has been bolted to the division wall section and hung from the room ceiling by chains, D-bolts and turnbuckles.  I beefed up the ceiling load points with extra timber work and brackets as required.
Photo 6 - a view of the hanging peninsula ceiling from the other direction.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

cuse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »
Wow...beautiful bones for your layout. The woodwork on the "ceiling" is really great and I meant to comment on those wheels...very nicely conceived to be sturdy. Those look much more reliable than most bolt-on cabinet wheels. Well done!

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
Mark, Your moving along fast. Love the woodwork hanging.

PRR Modeler

• Modeling the Pennsy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Awesome woodworking.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »
Mark

Fantastic work and thread.  Thank you for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 09:52:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Thanks Cuse - no - no chance of those wheels coming off.

Dennis - I am cheating a bit regards the speed - it isn't all done in real time.  I'm not John Siekirk!

Curt - thanks.  I enjoy the woodwork - although I was pleased when this section came to an end!

Thanks John - you are my biggest motivation for getting things done.  Every time I check in on your thread I feel lazy!

Well following on we have a couple of aerial shots.  I must admit - I do like these shots.  They do show well how much work was involved.  All those 'fins' you see across the top are made up of 4.5mm MDF nailed and glued to 45 by 20mm pine studs in a big capital L shape (upside down).  The studs go down behind the backdrop about 300mm past the layout bench-work where angled timber braces help keep them at 90 degrees.  This paired with the self supporting corner sections kept things surprisingly rigid.

Photo 1&2 - the layout from above.
Photo 3 - the chains, D-bolts and shackles attached.
Photo 4 - this photo shows the space left over at the back of this room behind Tellynott.  This will eventually be entirely filled with the mountain scenery of Shadowlands.
Photo 5&6 - these show the peninsula with extra framework installed underneath for a turnaround loop and hidden sidings.  There was also quite a bit of extra timber needed here for the bench-work fascia.  This under bench track-work came about with some changes in the design of Shadowlands - which I will go into more detail when I expand on the track plan.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
Mark, Still impressive I like that walk in a lot. John is a great modeler and very helpful person to know. John does build fast though....Dennis

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
Thanks Dennis.  I think the walk in works well.  Viewed from above, with the ceiling fascia overhanging by 200mm (8"), the isle width looks much tighter than it actually is.  I think, from memory, the tightest point is a touch over 3', and the layout opens out to 4' at the end of the walk in.  I put in a lot of extra time and effort to keep the layout front flowing with nice curves.  I had to remember when designing the bench-work that any internal curves would have a radius reduced by 8" on the ceiling fascia.  I found I could bend the 2.75mm MDF around a 250mm (10") curve - so that put a limit on things.

Yes - John is a fantastic person to know.  In 2015 when my wife and I did a five week trip to the USA John was good enough to liaise with George Sellios for me and make introductions.  George was then kind enough to let me choose the Saturday of the month that suited our travel plans for his open house.  It was great to meet George and to see the F&SM in the flesh - which exceeded all expectations.  I was also lucky enough to meet some of the forum members (including John) at the Scranton expo.  For me that was two things ticked off my bucket list.  I took many photos of the F&SM and sent them all to John who then uploaded many of them to the F&SM thread.  I also had a great time at the expo and came home armed with some great craftsman kits - including some that had been on my wish list for years.  Oh - and Utah blew my mind!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:20 PM »
You guys are making me feel lazy - I'm sitting at my cabin in Northern Michigan tonight "relaxing" and doing some design work for the layout. I spent the day fishing with a dear friend - we did a lot of fishing but not much catching, today.  I'm retired now so I spend my time doing what I choose to do and that is usually working on my layout. Correction "what my wife lets me do".  ;D  Mark a trip to your side of the world is on my bucket list - maybe when you have your layout further along.  You sure are off to a wonderful start. It is amazing how many wonderful people I have met through this wonderful hobby. This forum is a great way to share what we are doing.  Please keep us up-to-date with your progress. I really enjoy your work. Do you have any return trips to the States planned?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
You lazy John??????????   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D NO WAY!!!!!!!! Dennis