Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Shadowlands and Tellynott  (Read 2308 times)

mark dalrymple

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlands and Tellynott
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
Hi guys.

Finally are some photos as I place my structures around the peninsula.  Many have specific spots to live as dictated by the scene pictures in the book.  This gives an overall impression of what I am trying to achieve in this area.  As you will see there are many structures (over 100) so I'm talking years.  We have the biannual NZAMRC convention in Christchurch in Easter of 2020 (it is held in Chch every 10 years) and my layout is on the tour list.  I have various goals I hope to achieve by then, but doing much work on the peninsula is not one of them.  I hope to be able to complete about a square foot so a finished scene across the peninsula and isle to the Tellynott corner diorama can be viewed.

Photo 1 shows the residential scene morphing into a more commercial and industrial one.  You can see here my Graves structure and my P&D Duncan scratch-build, along with some shops.

Photo 2 shows a close up view.  You can see Graves to the right.  The two tall houses in the front - especially the 5-story one to the left - have been on my 'must build' list for ages.  It was a butcher shop with housing above, although I think it is now a hair dresser.

Photo 3 shows the scene from further back.

Photo 4 shows a view from further back again.

Photo 5 - here we are angled the other way.  The expandable foam canister is actually across the isle at the end of the yard.  You can see how I will be able to create views this way with borrowed scenery from the layout behind.

Photo 6 - And lastly here is a view from the end of the peninsula.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:39:28 AM by mark dalrymple »

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
Mark

That is going to be one amazing scene. What a great way to visualize the plan. I will be following along as you implement it - thank you for sharing this with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Thanks very much for stopping by, John - and for your kind words.

This is my favourite part of the process.  I would think I would spend maybe 10% of my time designing on paper, 10% of my time of building mock-ups and 10% on terrain mock-ups.  Its no wonder it takes me so long to build anything!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
Thanks very much for stopping by, John - and for your kind words.

This is my favourite part of the process.  I would think I would spend maybe 10% of my time designing on paper, 10% of my time of building mock-ups and 10% on terrain mock-ups.  Its no wonder it takes me so long to build anything!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I think that any time you spend in the design and mock-up stage is saved in the build stage by minimizing the "do overs".  There is nothing worse than wasting time tearing out a section of layout and redoing it because it just doesn't look right. Your attention to elevation change makes the scene look much more realistic.
John Siekirk

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Mark

I think that any time you spend in the design and mock-up stage is saved in the build stage by minimizing the "do overs".  There is nothing worse than wasting time tearing out a section of layout and redoing it because it just doesn't look right. Your attention to elevation change makes the scene look much more realistic.

I agree, John. 

I think added to this - as a mock-up I can take an expensive craftsman kit, cut it into pieces and spend hours shuffling those pieces around into an entirely new configuration and embedded into a mocked-up terrain at grade.  At the end if I look at what I have created and say "Wow!  That is going to look so cool!"  it gives me the confidence to attack the expensive craftsman kit for real.  This also gives you the luxury to be very creative and come up with something truly unique, without destroying that expensive kit.  The next set of photos I will upload will show this.

Cheers, Mark.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:15:22 PM by mark dalrymple »

postalkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
Hey Mark:

Just went through from the beginning. Lots of work and nice progress. Will be following along.

Karl

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2019, 02:40:03 AM »
Hey Mark:

Just went through from the beginning. Lots of work and nice progress. Will be following along.

Karl

Thanks very much, Karl.  Its lots of fun!

Cheers, Mark.

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2019, 06:14:47 AM »
Hi guys.

Well, below are a series of photos I took while playing with my only South River Modelworks kit.  When I made it to the 2015 Scranton expo, a SRM kit was at the very top of my wish list.  There were several to choose from and in the end I went with Thorndike Mills.

I copied and enlarged the plans from the kit and printed off several copies.  I made up two stone mill mock-ups to try different arrangements.  I discovered that when placed next to my other mill, Thorndike's was dwarfed, and so I felt I really needed to enlarge the kit while keeping it balanced.  Many hours and attempts later I ended up with the configuration pictured below.  There is no way I would attempt a bash like this without being confident of what the end result would look like.  I find that a mock-up shows much of the drama that will eventually be achieved by the end result as well as how the complex will fit with the other structures and terrain around it.  I also find that adding quick roofs really helps in defining the shape.  You can see I pretty much doubled both the stone and timber parts of the kit to help keep the balance as well as changing heights on the two stone sections and tumbling part of the timber section down the slope of the terrain towards the water.  The shape of the overall complex also encloses a nice intimate scene which will be naturally framed for viewing.  Hours (days) of fussing later I was pretty happy with the scene.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Mark

That is going to be a great scene. You sure have a lot of years worth of plans ready to be built. I'm going to really enjoy watching your progress.
John Siekirk

deemery

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
A lot of the SRMW kits look too compressed to me.  The brick mill is about 14"/35cm, the stone mill is just a bit shorter.  And by New England mill standards, they're small buildings! 

I'm really enjoying your design process, I have a large center blob that will hold a town, once I get to it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »
Mark

That is going to be a great scene. You sure have a lot of years worth of plans ready to be built. I'm going to really enjoy watching your progress.

Thanks John.  Yes - the projects are certainly stacked up!  Unfortunately, my biggest modelling flaw is getting excited about a new project and leaving my last project unfinished.  I hope getting things ready for the upcoming 2020 Easter convention will force me to both change this habit and to also finish many of those unfinished projects off!

Cheers, Mark.

mark dalrymple

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
A lot of the SRMW kits look too compressed to me.  The brick mill is about 14"/35cm, the stone mill is just a bit shorter.  And by New England mill standards, they're small buildings! 

I'm really enjoying your design process, I have a large center blob that will hold a town, once I get to it.

dave

Thanks Dave.  My scratch-build of Delabarre Tap and Die Co. was built using the walls from a Walthers 'Greatland Sugar' kit.  It may have therefore ended up larger than its inspiration.  I remember making a mock-up of a low relief fertilizer factory that I designed based on an old article in MRR which had copies of actual plans.  When I placed the mock-up in its position next to my kit-bash of a Heljan Brewery I found the brewery dwarfed the fertilizer factory.  I ended up blowing up the size of the fertilizer factory by 25% until it 'looked' right.  Sometimes you have to bend reality to make your impression of reality look real!

Below is a photo showing the track snaking back with the three industries on three different levels.  Going down hill and from front to back is Graves Elevators, Dalebarre and Thorndike's.

Photo 2 shows the fertilizer factory (Edmond's baking) increased by 25% from the prototype to look 'right' next to the brewery.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Today at 10:09:24 PM »
Mark

What have you been doing on the layout?  Time for an update.
John Siekirk