collapse

Author Topic: Help!!!!!!!!! How to remove silicon from a resin wall casting??????????  (Read 1301 times)

DennisBourey

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Morning all, I need help. I bought everything from micro-mark and its all new and fresh. I did 6 walls overnight and all worked perfect except one. It crumbled and everything is stuck to the resin cast I'm trying to make. I used the release like i'm supposed to but the rubber wont pull away and I'm not sure how to get the silicone off of the resin wall to clean it up? There's nothing special about the wall no huge detail like the Victoria Hotel casting but its stuck and I'm not sure what to do without gouging the silicone off the wall. Thanks Dennis

S&S RR

• T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR
    • View Profile
Dennis

Wow - that is strange. Since 5 of the six walls worked with the same batch of mold material it could be something about the original casting. Over the years I have had problems with individual castings cracking - especially old ones.  The only other thing that I can think of is that the mixture of components for the mold material was off on this one casting.  Was it a different batch from the other?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ReadingBob

• View Profile
Hmm...I have zero experience with this but I wonder if sticking the wall in the freezer for a few hours would make the mold material easier to remove.   ???  It may not but it seems like it wouldn't hurt anything to try it.  Just a thought.  Best of luck on figuring this one out.  It's something I would like to try someday.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

DennisBourey

• View Profile
John, Morning  I made 2 molds out of the same batch they were all this size. And the wall's are new. Just got them yesterday. Weird, Morning Bob I tried the freezer with no results. It's like the silicone was 100 years old. just crumbled in my hands. But the rest wont come off the wall.

deemery

• View Profile
Test the back of a casting with various solvents, starting with alcohol, then paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone.  Figure out which solvents won't hurt the resin.  Then you can soak the casting in the most powerful-but-safe solvent.  Use a powered (cheapo dime-store battery operated) toothbrush to knock off the silicone.  I'm pretty sure alcohol is safe, but acetone will probably eat the resin.

You can use a cookie sheet to soak the casting (face down) in the solvent.

dave
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:37:13 AM by deemery »
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

DennisBourey

• View Profile
Morning Dave, Thank you I'm gonna try that right now :)

rpdylan

• View Profile
I agree with Dave- I'm thinking lacquer thinner would soften the silicone----- I know some guys use it to soften up old silicone caulking to peel it away.....
Bob C.

DennisBourey

• View Profile
Afternoon Bob, I'm not sure how long to soak it but I'll try a hour at a time. Suck's came apart like chucks of broken candy bar. and left a 1/16 plus height of it on the casting. I don't wanna use a knife on it. Dennis

S&S RR

• View Profile
Dennis

This is why I didn't like Chemistry in school. I need to clarify something in my mind - you were making resin castings in silicone molds?
John Siekirk

DennisBourey

• View Profile
Hi John, I was copying a resin casting to make my walls. Like The American Tool on the FSM And i bought the One To One Rapid Mold Rubber from micro-mark like you did and it stuck to the resin casting I was trying to copy the wall and messed it up. amateur as I am. Dennis

DennisBourey

• View Profile
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! How to remove silicon from a resin wall casting??????????
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 08:37:41 PM »
 It's official. It's gotta be me? I did 12 walls and out of 12 walls 6 stuck so bad to the resin casting. I did everything by instructions and still ruined 6 of them :( Now I'll be cleaning 6 more. So it's something I'm doing wrong......  I sprayed and waited like it says and mixed 1 to 1 and stirred for about 3-4 minutes and still sticking. But I did the biggest building Ambassador Hotel with no problem's. All new and from SS Ltd.  I bought everything from Micro so there's no contamination. I hope I'm not the only person that had this problem? 50 % is not good odd's. Dennis
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:52:58 PM by DennisBourey »

S&S RR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »
It's official. It's gotta be me? I did 12 walls and out of 12 walls 6 stuck so bad to the resin casting. I did everything by instructions and still ruined 6 of them :( Now I'll be cleaning 6 more. So it's something I'm doing wrong......  I sprayed and waited like it says and mixed 1 to 1 and stirred for about 3-4 minutes and still sticking. But I did the biggest building Ambassador Hotel with no problem's. All new and from SS Ltd.  I bought everything from Micro so there's no contamination. I hope I'm not the only person that had this problem? 50 % is not good odd's. Dennis

Dennis

I don't think it's you! I remember just enough of my organic chemistry to know that the walls on the one kit have some contamination that is messing up the reaction between the two components of the  One to One Rapid Mold rubber.  Most of the molds that I have made had a hydrocal master and I made the mold so I could make resin castings. I had this happen one time to Trains of Texas casting that I had borrowed - George used them all over the F&SM. I never knew what caused the problem but I cleaned up the hydrocal casting and switched to a different mold compound and didn't have a problem.
John Siekirk

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 10:11:41 PM »
John, I made a few hydrocal casting molds with not one hitch. As soon as I try to make one resin casting with the 1-2-1 for the  Railway express agency building forget it all 4 walls stuck like ice and your tongue on a flag pole :) Once cleaned I'll wash in warm water and det and try again. Took me 4 hours to clean the little one with lots of goo gone and mini soft brush,  Thank you all very much. Dennis

JimMooney

• Junior - 50+ Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »
just googled it...seems there are solvents (digesters) for silicone...Lowes has  a goo gone caulk remover that might work..

DennisBourey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
Thanks Jim, Good Morning to all..........I'm heading there today anyway, I will pick some up. I'll keep the forum posted. Bunch of great modelers here. Dennis

* Don't Be Shy... Say Hi

Refresh History
  • S&S RR: I think - more testing required.
    January 20, 2020, 09:16:08 PM
  • S&S RR: All is well in forum land!
    January 20, 2020, 09:15:49 PM
  • S&S RR: The Gallery is back!
    January 20, 2020, 09:15:32 PM
  • administrator: Database Error?
    December 29, 2019, 11:30:41 AM
  • MAP: Data Base error got me in the middle of typing!
    December 18, 2019, 07:33:28 AM
  • NEMMRRC: I'm getting the database error. Not fun.
    December 13, 2019, 07:29:42 PM
  • Rail and Tie: Hmmmm, snows back!
    December 02, 2019, 09:47:03 PM
  • Rail and Tie: Snows all gone and back to cold but sunny days!
    November 20, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
  • Rail and Tie: first snow fall here this year...8"
    November 13, 2019, 01:34:16 PM
  • S&S RR: We survived the first snow of the year.
    November 02, 2019, 09:13:33 AM
  • S&S RR: Hi
    November 01, 2019, 08:41:05 AM
  • S&S RR: Dr. Jeff send some better weather this way!
    October 22, 2019, 10:21:22 AM
  • NEMMRRC: Howdy !   What’s happening ?  Jaime
    September 08, 2019, 09:33:14 AM
  • S&S RR: Has the database quit making errors?
    August 13, 2019, 05:14:42 PM
  • S&S RR: I posted with my iPad for the first time today!
    August 13, 2019, 05:14:11 PM
  • NEMMRRC: HI ! !
    July 08, 2019, 04:51:09 PM
  • DennisBourey: Jimmy D, Can we get another T-Shirt - FORUM SPONSOR ?  Love to get a nice t-shirt to wear proud. Thanks Dennis
    July 02, 2019, 09:01:43 PM
  • S&S RR: 2xl marron red like the EXPO shirts a few years ago
    July 02, 2019, 09:51:15 AM
  • RailroadKits: What color/size John?
    July 02, 2019, 07:27:18 AM
  • S&S RR: Mine has been washed to many times to wear in public - per the CFO of the S&S RR
    June 30, 2019, 08:17:22 PM

* Recent Posts

Re: Keep trying please! Report any bugs here... by S&S RR
[Today at 07:31:29 AM]

Re: Keep trying please! Report any bugs here... by S&S RR
[Today at 07:29:04 AM]

Re: Tuesday 21JAN by S&S RR
[Today at 07:21:31 AM]

Re: Great Lakes Lighthouse Build by carl b
[Today at 07:10:45 AM]

Re: Millett for MAP by fsmcollector67
[Today at 06:03:53 AM]