Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Scratching my itch  (Read 1394 times)

jerryrbeach

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Scratching my itch
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »
Jerry

Fantastic work! I look forward to seeing you back at your workbench this winter when the fields are under a blanket of snow and the cows are eating that hay you worked so hard this summer to put up for them.

John,

Thanks for the compliment.  I dislike the cold and snow but I am definitely looking forward to enjoying my modeling this winter (while in my warm house).
Jerry

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 05:37:00 AM »
I cannot claim this is an original idea though I don't remember where I came across it.  I used spray adhesive to fasten a small cutting mat (6"x8") to a piece of leftover flooring.  This allows me to align the edge of sheet material with the edge of the elevated cutting mat.  This makes it easy to use a machinist square to make perfectly square cuts in wood sheet material. 
Jerry

barrymk

• One Hundred Post Club
    • View Profile
    • Cuspidor & Southern RR
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 07:04:02 AM »
Nice work Jerry.  I shall pinch the cutting mat idea and claim it as my own  :)
Modelling my version of Colorado Narrow Gauge here in the UK.  Any resemblance to reality is purely accidental.

deemery

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:42 AM »
The other alternative is the Micro-Mark thin beam square:  https://www.micromark.com/Thin-Beam-Square  I have a pair that I use a lot. 

Now I tried to build a more complex construction set-up, gluing a framing square onto a piece of MDF, then gluing a cutting pad in the interior.  My idea was to use the square as you would a T-Square and then use triangles for perpendicular lines (in both directions, as necessary.

The problem is the MDF warped.   :(

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 06:56:46 AM »
Nice work Jerry.  I shall pinch the cutting mat idea and claim it as my own  :)

Barry,

Glad to see someone else benefit from it. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
The other alternative is the Micro-Mark thin beam square:  https://www.micromark.com/Thin-Beam-Square  I have a pair that I use a lot. 

Now I tried to build a more complex construction set-up, gluing a framing square onto a piece of MDF, then gluing a cutting pad in the interior.  My idea was to use the square as you would a T-Square and then use triangles for perpendicular lines (in both directions, as necessary.

The problem is the MDF warped.   :(

dave

Dave,

I hadn't seen the Micromark squares before, they sure look great.  I have thought about building a setup like you described, even have a square on hand, but never followed through.  I built my cutting mat on a piece of 'floating floor" and so far it has remained dead flat.
Jerry

Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Jerry a very nice build on those two.

Now that the hay is in the barn and the cows are settle down for a long winter's night!!

You will have a little more time to sit by the heater an model.

Looking forward to the next scratch build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

hairball

• Junior - 50+ Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »
The next scratch build that I recently finished is a dentist's office.  My friend Jim gave me a large bag of plastic windows.  There was a sheet in the bag that said,"1890 Style Depot Doors & Windows".  There was no manufacturer's name on the sheet.  I have often looked at these windows and wondered where I might use them.  I thought that they might work for a fancy storefront, so I gave them a try using some really old (and dry) northeastern scribed siding.  Once I had the storefront done I thought it should be some type of a professional's office.  I traveled the internet and found a great sign for a Dentist.  I have noticed that structures with an addition or stairs have more character.  I used some cardboard to mock up the addition and after a little fiddling, transferred it to some Northeastern clapboard siding with wider boards than the front of the building. 

This has been hanging around unfinished because I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted the metal roof to look.  I watched this video by Jason Jensen on YouTube and had my answer.  I tried his method for painting metal roofing and this is the finished structure.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4g4lKnV-o   Jason has a number of great videos, you might want to check out his YouTube channel. 

Those windows are made by GRANDT LINE think they are 33" x 86" as the scale size.  I used them a lot in o scale and painted them in 3 colors for a pure Victorian look.

mike lynch................HAIRBALL

hairball

• Junior - 50+ Posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »
Full disclosure.  These structures were all started last winter.  They have been sitting while I have been spending my spring and summer outdoors.  I'll let you know why each sat unfinished when I post the pics of each. 

First up is a lawyer's office.  I started this project after noticing this style of overhanging roof on several buildings.  While I was working on a cardboard mockup and wondering what type of business it would represent I came across a sign on the internet.  The sign not only changed the look of the false front, it inspired me to use a "Victorian" color scheme for this structure.  Finding the wall sign on the internet was a bonus.  I thought because this was a law office it warranted copper roofing.  I downloaded a couple photos from the internet and after repainting it a couple times I think I have it reasonably close.  Side note, this is built of styrene.

I had this done except for the front steps.  I knew I wanted to do brick steps to match the foundation.  It took me a couple false starts and letting it sit until I figured out how to get the steps to come together.

THE LAWYERS SIGN IS UTTERLY FANTASTIC

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I found it on line and appreciated the humor, so had to use it in a big way.
Jerry

Jim Donovan

• Senior Poster 250+
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Hi Jerry;

Just caught up with your adventures with the buildings. This website has become very unreliable for posting during last few months. Even the formatting has gone to the old original text style, so I am not on it as much asI'd like. Anyhow, I too am going to use your mat glued to board idea, sure looks to make things easy. I have a 12 x 12 extra ceramic tile laying around. I will glue the mat board to it and see how it works. With the weight I hope to use it upside down to press things down as needed while they dry or whatever. Love the lawyer sign. It could also be aa tax collector sign.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa R.R.

jerryrbeach

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
Jim,

I thought about gluing the cutting mat to a tile, but I had the flooring so used what I had.  FWIW, my mother and later my sister collected taxes for the local township for many years. 
Jerry