The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 2

Started by ACL1504, May 11, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I'm spacing the posts every ten feet. I drilled a 1/16 hole every ten feet around the fuel compound.

I cut 85 posts from the 1/16 brass rods.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This chain link fence will be almost 8.5 feet in total length. That is 8.5 1:1 feet and not 8.5 HO scale feet.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I cut the brass rod posts to 15 HO scale feet in length. I want to add some barbed wire to the top. I used pliers to put a 40 degree bend at one end. I made the bend at 2 HO scale feet. The bend used 1 HO scale foot and that leaves me with two HO feet to plant the post and two feet at the top.

In the photo below you can see the bend.

I was telling Greg what I wanted to do but didn't have a vice. He suggested hammering the brass end. You can see I have one post taped to the angle weight, shown above.

I used a small steel weight shown below as the "masher".

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I placed the steel bar on the angle portion of the brass rod and made several hammering blows with a hammer to flatten the end.

I'll do a little fast forward here and show ya'll the five step process for the fence posts.

1. Cut the brass rod to length.

2. Bend one end to the angle of your choice.

3. Flatten the bent end.

4. Used the Dremel disc to shape the top.

5. Drill two or three small holes in the flattened portion. I went with two.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Eighty hockey sticks made from the brass rod.

Hockey sticks shaped and drilled.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

Hi Tom,

You oil facility is looking great.  Thanks for pictures of your progress and explanation of what you have done.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

WOW Tom, that is some real precision work with the fence posts.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Tom

That is some very nice work.  Looks like you have some experience with making brass parts. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Tom, how did you drill the holes that precisely?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

MAP

That is some fine detailed work you're doing Tom.  It's really going to make that scene pop!   Am I seeing things or is there a switch machine hidden in the large oil tank for that turnout?
Mark

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on October 17, 2017, 04:08:51 PM
Hi Tom,

You oil facility is looking great.  Thanks for pictures of your progress and explanation of what you have done.

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. Pictures save me quite a bit of time moving the thread forward.

Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 17, 2017, 07:31:18 PM
WOW Tom, that is some real precision work with the fence posts.

Curt,

Thanks for the compliment. Please see my response to deemery below.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on October 17, 2017, 08:08:15 PM
Tom

That is some very nice work.  Looks like you have some experience with making brass parts. ;)

John,

Thank you, much appreciated. Brass I can work with, plaster - not so much! ;) ;)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com