CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Nice progress. That's an impressively-sized structure.
George

Rail and Tie

Quote from: postalkarl on December 14, 2019, 07:46:35 AM
Hey Jaime:

That is really coming out beautifully. Love the colors you are using. Keep the photos coming.

Could you send me the post the stock number of the Rustoleum paint you used for the stucco as I want to give it A try.

Karl

I think I saw "239121 Caribbean Sand" in Jaime's photo below.

BTW, excellent work and tight paintjob!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

NEMMRRC

Hey Jaime:

That is really coming out beautifully. Love the colors you are using. Keep the photos coming.

Could you send me the post the stock number of the Rustoleum paint you used for the stucco as I want to give it A try.

Karl
Rustoleum paint is # 239121 Caribbean Sand. I found it ay my local Walmart. It is also available from Amazon.

Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-White-Stops-Rust-Multicolor-Textured-Spray-Paint-12-oz/17011113

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-239121-Multi-Color-Textured-Caribbean/dp/B001G3HKIK?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001G3HKIK

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Rail and Tie on December 14, 2019, 12:01:47 PM
Hey Jaime:

Karl

I think I saw "239121 Caribbean Sand" in Jaime's photo below.

BTW, excellent work and tight paintjob!
Good eyes there!

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Opa George on December 14, 2019, 11:33:59 AM
Nice progress. That's an impressively-sized structure.
George
It is that. Would make a nice foreground feature in anyone's layout.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Making progress. It helps I didn't have yard chores this weekend. I put on some Christmas music and kept ion gluing stuff.

I finished the stucco base all around the building.

I added the wrap-around balcony floor on the second floor and finished the store fronts.

The main building's base came with the kit. It is a cool laser engraved mat board. CCK even engraved in some sidewalk cracks.

Next I need to start on the roofs. This part goes slow for me. I had hoped to have gotten my micro applicators that Darryl suggested earlier. However, I had my shipment delivered to the office and I have been out for the last couple of days. So I got started but it really is going slow...

More as it develops.

Jaime

darrylhuffman

Jaime,

So far it all looks great.  This is a LARGE building.

I come from a small town of 800 people out in the desert in California.  Only the local "hotel" (rooming house) and a couple of rich people had two story structures.  Everything else was one story and even they were very small.

I look forward to your progress.

Have fun and don't get in a hurry.

Oh, by the way, I tried your envelope edge roof cap idea last night and it worked well.  Now I look forward to junk mail.

Thanks, my friend,

Darryl

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

S&S RR

Jaime

It's looking great! Sure is good to see you at the workbench, again.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Jaime,

Coming along nicely, good job all the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

That looks great, Jaime.  I find applying shingles is slow work, but well worth the time spent.
George

NEMMRRC

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I hate CA glue. H A T E it !!!!

I made a somewhat considerable blunder. I painted all the castings for the posts and railings on the balcony ahead of time. Big mistake. I have to assemble all that now. Getting styrene castings to glue together after they have been painted is no fun. If I use plastic cement it won't hold unless I scrape off the paint. If I use CA glue it attacks the paint. I could have used Ailenes or Canopy Glue but that doesn't always yield a tight fit in this case.

So I ended up using CA glue. Let's just say if I had to do this over, I would have assembled the posts and railings before painting all that. I decided to move on and live with the consequences.

Here is what I did.

I began by gluing the main corner post first. After its was all over said and done, I wish I had built all these off the balcony rather than on. Anyway, here is how it went. I'll let the photos do the talking.

So I basically lined up the posts along the balcony and cut and fit the railings in between. I decided to continue gluing the stuff on a piece of glass I lay on my workbench rather than on the balcony.

I then built a "jig" of sorts to mark where the posts were located and used that to glue it all on the glass.

I couldn't find my building squares so I made some from extra matboard I had handy.

I decided to hunt deeper in my stash of train stuff and eventually found more of my "real" tools.

I made sure it was all going to come out ok before gluing the assemblies to the balcony.

And here is where I am at the moment.

It needs some tweaking but that will have to wait for when I glue on the roofs.

I hate CA glue because no matter how careful I am, I always end up getting it where it does not belong.

Back to the workbench.

Jaime

jerryrbeach

Jaime,

I read somewhere that this hobby requires the patience of a saint.  Even with your issues with the glue, pre-painted posts, etc., railings came together well.   
Jerry

JimF

Jaime,

Still a fantastic looking build, despite you trials and tribulations.

Will you be doing any sort of diorama based on this build?

Jim

NEMMRRC

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 17, 2019, 09:37:54 PM
Jaime,

I read somewhere that this hobby requires the patience of a saint.  Even with your issues with the glue, pre-painted posts, etc., railings came together well.
Indeed ....

I hope Saint Nicholas pays me a visit next week  ;D

Jaime

JimF

Jaime,

Meant to ask, did the kit come with the printed interiors for the shops, or are they something you came up with?

Jim