jimmillho

jrmueller

John - What is the Bragdon rock system you refer to?  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

cuse

Thanks for the interest guys.

Jim, Joel Bragdon gives demos at various national conventions. He created a system for foam rock casting that I invested in and love. I was always averse to plaster castings or carving my own rocks, so never really went towards that kind of scenery. With the Bragdon system, I'm looking for opportunities for huge rock faces...It's neat, controllable, and you can re-shape landforms and castings anytime with a heat gun. I never could find any great YouTube stuff, but I'm sure there's some...his website is http://www.bragdonent.com...I don't think there's a way to "dabble" in it as it's basically a completely different group of chemicals. I can't say enough about it.

John

cuse

It's not exactly layout "progress" but I moved my entire layout a foot farther away from the wall. My office "alley" is a little bit tighter but workable and now there's 4' of space on the rural/mountainous side of the layout...I'm not saying there will someday be a dramatic floor to ceiling mountain branch along that wall someday but...I'm not saying there won't.  ;D

Basically, just preparing for retirement (which is many miles away) but there are certain developments that could lead me to scale back the work hours a bit in the next few years, so the gears are turning.

Hope to do some actual on-layout work this weekend.

John

Zephyrus52246

Nice finished look to the benchwork.  The scenery ain't bad, either.   ;D

Jeff

S&S RR

John

Expansion space is a wonderful thing. ;) ;D ;D  I love mountains - so you know what gets my vote. Oh wait a minute - it's your railroad and I don't get a vote. ;)  It is great to see you working on the railroad. The blue cup makes it look like one of my Grandson's have been there.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, John!

All lit up like a picture!  You must count anything towards future expansion as layout work!  Looking forward to future floor to ceiling mountains!

Cheers, Mark.

cuse

Did a little work on the concrete base for the Fos Execution Rocks Sailmaker structure yesterday. I used AK Concrete which is very nice to work with. It spreads like butter right out of the jar and hardens with a great cement texture and color. I'll sand it a bit tonight (?) to knock off the overly dramatic points and, if needed, fill in a little. It can be worked and smoothed like plaster and a couple drops of water help blend/smooth it. I tried to include form lines with my palette knife but may have gone overboard...However, overboard is kind of my preference. I prefer things a bit over -weathered, over dramatized, etc...a little cartoonish...I don't expect to paint it, I'll just weather with powders.

Jerry

John

Nice work on the concrete.  Looks pretty realistic to me.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dennis Bourey

Beautiful job John........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Rail and Tie

Awesome work. Concrete, building and the whole layout. I love the museum look to your layout. Well done.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

cuse

Thanks guys...I really like this concrete product from AK.

Regarding the overall look-Thank you. The overall effect is probably what I am most attuned to. When I see these photos, it occurs to me that I shouldn't put off painting the upper and lower fascia much longer as it will really contribute to the overall impact.

Thanks again...John

ReadingBob

Everything looks really great John!   :D  :D  :D

I'm trying to find a way to say that without it seeming self serving.  ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

cuse

got a couple of good hours in this morning. I planted the Fos sailmaker building on it's concrete base and scenicked all around it. Plenty of room for more detail in the area and need to paint and Mod Podge the water surface to call it a finished job. Off to the fights tonight. Big Kids coming over tomorrow.

John

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision