Building a Gallows Turntable for the Horace and William Creek R.R.

Started by DACS, June 19, 2014, 08:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DACS

Stan,  those "bumps" are a very critical part of a prototype gallows turntable.  The are the center cross tie support rod saddles.
These were actually a very ingenious way to keep the table from bowing transversely.  As most gallows turntables were of the balance style, the locomotive would place a great deal of pressure on the table, not only end to end, but also side to side.  These rods kept the table from bowing and rising off the spider assembly on the outsides.    Compression and tension!
Unfortunately, kits that were produced, never included this detail.  If you notice on the Annual drawings, they are depicted.

Here is a drawing I just made and took a pic of.  This was just added as a modified message after you responded.

I hope this explains it for you.

Then, the main support rods of course, kept the table from bowing/sagging in the table lengthwise.

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

DACS

My immense apologies for having not been back in the forum for quite sometime.
There have been a lot of issues since my last visit.

Since then, I have pretty much lost heart in rebuilding this thread.  As I had stated, this was a completed thread at one time.  I do not know what happened to wipe out all the work I had done, to do so.
I have boxed and stored anything and everything that has to do with model building.  My dioramas are all gone, structures all sold or given away.

A lot of things have changed in the last year, since my last posting.  Not being a pessimist here, just a realist:  but life has a way of changing things when we don't want it to, but we, are not as in control as we would like to think we are.

Again my apologies for this.

Dave
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

Zephyrus52246

No need to apologize, Dave.  We all know sometimes life gets in the way of our hobbies.  Hope things are getting better.

Jeff

gnatshop

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 05, 2015, 12:14:50 PM
No need to apologize, Dave.  We all know sometimes life gets in the way of our hobbies.  Hope things are getting better.
Jeff   
Dave,  ditto on Jeff's comment!!
Your life changes must have been pretty devastating to get rid of everything related to model building!

But you're still welcome here - with your skills, you can at least keep up with the hobby and harass the rest of us
about our screw-ups!!