FOS's Pressman Radio

Started by JimF, June 23, 2019, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Jim,

Nicely done. Love the front display window.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Agreed--the storefront window display is a real treat!  Nicely done!
--George

PRR Modeler

Very nice and I agree about the front window.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

JimF

Progress as of yesterday evening.

Obviously I am not as fast as Opa George LOL

The stairwell and sidewalk pieces are just placed. The stairwell will get attached today, and a start on the roofs.

I started this kit over 2 years ago, just before I sort of lost interest I only got as far as bracing and painting the walls. It got boxed up, as did a few other kits I had been working on. I now find I am missing the one small piece with the window opening, for the small extension at the back. I have scrap material to make a new one, but now thinking I may leave it off. I'm thinking about raising the whole structure just a bit, to give a indication it has a basement. If I do, I'll make the extension open, as perhaps a cover over a opening for a coal chute. We'll see, but I can add the enclosed ext. any time, before I site the building at it's street location.

The sidewalk pieces were painted back then, as well, and I just went with a grey. I'll work at toning them done, and weathering them, but I have more sidewalk pieces from both FOS and Bar Mills, so will play around with different coloring.

Thanks for watching.

Jim

Mark Dalrymple

Looking very nice, Jim.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

I have to agree, Well done Sir........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

Jim, it's looking really nice.

Your comment about raising it slightly to suggest a basement got me to thinking about that point. Nearly all older buildings in the area I model have basements, yet I don't have anything on my buildings to suggest that feature. I may start kitbashing as appropriate to add that extra bit.

Coal delivery windows/chutes on commercial and residential structures are also a great detail not often seen. Growing up, I saw many a house on my street get coal deliveries to their "front basement" (as we called them).  We had (small) backyards on our street, so coal deliveries to the backs of our houses was not practical.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
--George

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Karl

JimF

Sorry, I'm still not great at remembering to take pics, though I am better than I was lol

Also, this update would have been sooner, buy had a heck of a time making the pics small enough to attach. Think I have that down, now.

The kit is done, except for the vent pipe I just noticed I forgot, for the moment, and the weathering of the roof. I refrained from the attaching the freight door overhead, and the lamp, against the possibility of them getting knocked off before the building is installed in place.

The 1/4" strips on the underside are just tacked on, to experiment with having the structure sit a bit higher, to do some sort of basement look. That will have to wait till I have the next 2 kits built, giving me the start of the 1st street corner scene.

Was a fun kit, a good one for getting back into the structure modeling.

Jim

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Jim, beautiful build and a really pleasing color combination. I also tend to put off those tiny final details and weathering for the very last, for fear of knocking them off / losing them. The foundation height looks about right. Should make a really cool corner scene with the other kits--can't wait to see it.
--George

JimF

Thanks guys.

It was fun getting back into it all.

Jim