T. Schwarz 2019 Winter Build - FOS Scale Models Deckers Tar Soap

Started by Jim Donovan, January 06, 2019, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

To everyone, thanks for the nice comments. Karl, I printed out the pictures you posted on your kit build of Deckers, it really helped when figuring out all the angles.

Curt, thanks on the lighting. I started lighting up my buildings a couple of kits ago. I think it really brings something extra. Following Slim's directions and methods shown at Micro Lumina makes it understandable.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Thanks Doug appreciate it.

I have added some better outdoor pictures with a quick diorama I threw together. I did this as a small group of NMRA guys get together here every couple weeks to model and talk. I took the kit and asked one who is an MMR judge to review the structure. It rated a 79 on the judging scale. 87 is needed to get an award. So I am learning but learned were I need to improve. It still was fun to build.

Jim D

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Jim, I trust that the judge(s) gave you a breakdown of where you lost points? That's the main way to learn on what needs to improve/add/etc.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jim Donovan

Hi Folks

I need to clarify the score given by my NMRA national judge. I simply made the kit for my layout, using and trying to improve on what I have learned to date. I made no effort to make the kit to NMRA merit or contest standards. I would have loved having it judged as meeting the merit standard but was more curious to learn how NMRA looks at structures. Here is recap of feedback I got:

First, everything has to documented. I of course had none but this build thread might at met requirement if I made sure I followed rules.

1) ALL windows have to be glass, and moreover you must not be able to see that the mullions are not flush on glass. In other words glass must be fitted to window. Mine were mostly glass but laid across back of window. Sometimes you can see separation from an angle. Also, I bailed on the four tilted small windows and used 560 canopy glue. ZAP, big no no. Also one was tilted and will be re hung.

2) There is a section of the kit that recessed over the main entrance. The clapboard siding simply comes together with no corner molding at 90 degree angles. I missed this, busted.

3) One wall warped slightly so that corner trim was not flush with clapboard. Separation a no no.

4) Several end cuts on main sign on roof were not stained showing raw wood.

5) Pipe castings that are smokestacks with opening showing must be drilled out. Vents to have grill work like functioning vents. 

Some other small things but those are the biggies. It was interesting to learn what and how a building is graded. This kit rated as average complexity and normal additions or scratch building.  I think some items are worth changing and make sense. Others I am not sure about.

Thanks
Jim

Oldguy

Quote from: Jim Donovan on May 01, 2019, 10:25:57 AM
Hi Folks

I need to clarify the score given by my NMRA national judge. I simply made the kit for my layout, using and trying to improve on what I have learned to date. I made no effort to make the kit to NMRA merit or contest standards. I would have loved having it judged as meeting the merit standard but was more curious to learn how NMRA looks at structures. Here is recap of feedback I got:

First, everything has to documented. I of course had none but this build thread might at met requirement if I made sure I followed rules.

1) ALL windows have to be glass, and moreover you must not be able to see that the mullions are not flush on glass. In other words glass must be fitted to window. Mine were mostly glass but laid across back of window. Sometimes you can see separation from an angle. Also, I bailed on the four tilted small windows and used 560 canopy glue. ZAP, big no no. Also one was tilted and will be re hung.

2) There is a section of the kit that recessed over the main entrance. The clapboard siding simply comes together with no corner molding at 90 degree angles. I missed this, busted.

3) One wall warped slightly so that corner trim was not flush with clapboard. Separation a no no.

4) Several end cuts on main sign on roof were not stained showing raw wood.

5) Pipe castings that are smokestacks with opening showing must be drilled out. Vents to have grill work like functioning vents. 

Some other small things but those are the biggies. It was interesting to learn what and how a building is graded. This kit rated as average complexity and normal additions or scratch building.  I think some items are worth changing and make sense. Others I am not sure about.

Thanks
Jim
Glad to hear that you got decent feedback.  Glass vs acetate, hmm.  Makes sense on a conformity basis, but about a -1/2 point. 
Many years ago, a good friend of mine entered models for judging in local meets but never got to the 87.5 point mark.  He complained that the judges held a grudge.  Back then, he couldn't get any feed back.  I took several of his models to a national model contest, where they failed miserably.  But there, I was able to talk to the judges, wrote down their feedback.  He made the changes and consistently got 90+ points and was a happy camper and got his MMR.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jim Donovan

It has been months since I 'finished' Schwarz Stamping. However since then I made several changes to the model. Many were corrections that had been noted when it was evaluated.  Others were to bring the building to life. It is now on the layout, not yet fully detailed, but close enough. So I thought I would show Schwarz Stamping as it became. If you look you can see old Stomping Tom Schwarz himself with his dog about to go to the party across the street.

It was a fun model to build. Hope you enjoy the final pictures.

Jim Donovan

Bruce Oberleitner

darrylhuffman

Thanks for sharing.  Looks good to me.

I built this kit a while back and my wife put it on the shelf in our living room.  She has first choice on any model I build.

I have seen several versions of the finished kit over the years and have enjoyed seeing them all.

If it were not expensive, I would buy another to kit bash.

I have been following the work of Jason Jensen Trains on Youtube.   Jason takes FOS scale models like this and makes a few smaller buildings out of them.

His work makes me want to start over on several kits and re-do them.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi Darryl,
I have to agree with you about Jason Jensen Work.  It makes me want to restart again as well!  That guy is amazing.  Another George Sellios in the making.

;D ;D ;D

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jim Donovan

We are back in Florida. Thank you for checking in and the compliments.

I agree about Jason. I was fortunate to meet him last year at the EXPO in Albany and then again when a group of us met up to visit George Sellios and his incredible F&SM layout this past July. From 9 am till we had to leave around 5 pm he spent the entire time up close looking at the scenes or talking with George. Then he went home energized and began building a new layout. He is as nice in person as you see in his videos, and yes, he sleeps perhaps four hours a night.

Jim D