Karl

Raymo

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 09, 2019, 10:57:53 AM
Jerry,

Great looking trucks, very well done.

Tom ;D
Tom,

Thanks for stopping in and your nice comment. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: postalkarl on September 09, 2019, 01:30:28 PM
Hey There:

the truck are just beautifully done.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you for checking in and leaving a nice comment.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

I've been working on and off on a pair of Liberty trucks.  The Liberty trucks were commissioned by the Army as part of the war effort.  They were manufactured by many different companies using standardized components.  If you are interested you can visit Wikipedia or https://libertytruck.org/   There are several trucks preserved in various military museums.  When the war ended, production was halted leaving the trucks no longer needed for the war effort as surplus.  These trucks were sold to the public.  I found my trucks on Shapeways and purchased the "fine detail plastic" version.  As you can see in the photos, this may not have been the best choice as the finish is quite rough.  If you are considering a purchase you might want to opt for the more expensive "ultra fine detail plastic" version. I added stripwood to the floor of the beds as well as the front bulkhead.  I also added shift levers and brake levers and exhaust pipes and mufflers.  I used some plastic to add a larger more typical side box or tool box under the bed on one of the trucks.  The lumber load is built up from balsa sheet and is (obviously) removable.  This is pretty obvious as I failed to seat it completely on the truck bed before taking the photo.  Jordans they ain't, but they do add variety to my truck fleet.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

While I was working on the Liberty trucks I also worked on an FWD truck that I ordered from Shapeways.  Like the Liberty trucks, I ordered the "fine detail plastic" and it too has a rough finish.  Again, if you are considering a purchase you might be better served by paying more for the "ultra fine detail plastic".  The blue stake bodied truck is the Shapeways truck.  I added a stripwood floor inside the bed, exhaust pipe and muffler, crank, front step, and the gearshift levers from a Woodland Scenics truck.  The driver is Preiser. 

The red FWD truck is a cheat.  It is a 1/72 scale Roden plastic kit with a Rusty Rail log load.  I changed the large stock wood spoke wheels for some Don Mills pneumatic tired wheels that were smaller in diameter.  This truck has outstanding detail.  I calculated it to be about 18% oversize, and actually ordered the Shapeways 1/87th truck for size comparison.  As you can see, the red truck is not that much larger than the scale truck.  I much prefer the detail on this truck to the Shapeways truck, and will cheat again.  The drivers for both trucks are by Preiser and are HO scale.
Jerry

Rail and Tie

Those look great Jerry! I bought the Roden kit as well after seeing this video. Thought the 18% scale difference is worth the detail in the kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDXJXxIA4Q

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Janbouli

Looking great Jerry , maybe it's the photo but I actually think the overall size of the Roden truck is a bit bigger but the things that set the scale for my eyes like the steering wheel , radiator , seat look smaller on the Roden truck , making it look a lot better then the Shapeways.
I love photo's, don't we all.