CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Really cool, Jamie. I think the smoke jack suits the bldg size better than a chimney would.

Yeah, my drybrushing still needs lots of practice, as well.

Jim

NEMMRRC

Thanks for all the feedback.

Continuing on...

I decided to start on the little supply shed shown in the back of the pilot diorama for the kit. It's pretty straight forward so I'll only point anything different from before.

The little supply shed has a tar paper roof instead of shingles. The kit provides a sheet of paper used to simulate the tar paper. The sheet is already ruled so it is easy to cut out the required strips of tar paper.

I drew some guide lines on the roof card to help me line up things in a straight line. The roof card is already scored by the laser engraver so it is easy to crease the roof we're required.

After I glued the strips of tar paper I spray painted the whole affair with a cheap can of flat black. I made sure to stagger the seams of the tar paper to make things a tad interesting.

I weathered the roof with some grey and rust colored pastel chalks.

I learned a trick way back when I built my first South River Modelworks kit. If you take a razor blade angled real sharp against the roof and scrape along the length of the tar paper after it has been painted, you get a glossy brittle look to the tar paper. I did that here as well.

And this is where I am at the moment.

More to come as it develops....

Jaime

NEMMRRC

I finished the little supply shed. I did not add the front frame to it yet even though I have it built. I need to first figure out how to locate all the buildings on the diorama before I get to that part.

That's 2 out of three buildings done  ;D

That last building is going to cause me to earn that 4 hobby knife rating. So far I have not touched my "oh crap!" quota on this build. That is encouraging.

Thanksgiving week is upon us. I hope to find some time somewhere in there to get some modeling done.

Jaime

Opa George

Jaime, good looking shed and office.  The big buildings get all the glamour shots, but its the small buildings that add character to a scene.  These are both really nice.
--George

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

I've almost bought this kit a train shows several times. I may just have to get one. You are doing a beautiful job with it.

karl

Jerry

Jaime that is coming along nicely.  Great job with the tar paper.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Howdy, gang.

I am out for the Thanksgiving holiday so the build is on hold for now. But, I have been reading all the feedback and appreciate it.

Later.

Jaime

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving.

Karl

NEMMRRC

Thank you for the well wishes.

I managed to get in a little bit of time at the workbench over the holiday. Mainly finishing the walls of the main building. I've been gluing in windows and cutting out signs.

More as it develops.

Jaime

S&S RR

Jaime

Looking good, you are making progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Moving along.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Some of the windows and doors for this kit are assembled from peel-and-stick laserboard and cardstock. I've only ever done this once before and I had so-so results. The stuff is very delicate and it is tricky to get the peel-and-stick backing off the pieces. Furthermore, the "castings" don't key into the holes so one has to be very careful to align everything properly. However, the results are nice and one ends up with unique windows. I think that is what I liked best about this kit, the windows and doors are unique.

Anyway, here is how some of that went.

Arched windows.

And here is a look from the back. Notice how there is no surface area to stick these onto so alignment here is critical.

Here is where I ran into some trouble. The laserboard does not take spray paint very well. Any suggestions?
Regardless, this is cool how one layers the doors and windows on the storefront.

I now have to glue the glazing to the back of the windows and doors. That should be pretty easy given I won't need glue but I will need to cut the glazing to size. Perhaps I should have done the glazing in advance ... oh well.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Opa George

Jaime,
For painting those peel-and-stick windows and doors, I get good results by priming first with Rustoleum multi-surface spray paint primer (I usually use gray).
--George

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

Your build is looking just great as usual.

Karl

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Opa George on December 04, 2019, 07:15:55 AM
Jaime,
For painting those peel-and-stick windows and doors, I get good results by priming first with Rustoleum multi-surface spray paint primer (I usually use gray).
--George
Thanks for the tip! I will have to go buy some of that.

Jaime