Round rod.

Started by Dennis Bourey, July 12, 2019, 06:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi everyone, Where does everyone get there steel round rod stock from? like real small 1/64 or 0.35 mm Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 12, 2019, 06:20:57 PM
Hi everyone, Where does everyone get there steel round rod stock from? like real small 1/64 or 0.35 mm Thanks Dennis

Dennis

My local ACE hardware carries it in stock.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

serious?  John, Thank you sir. Your package is ready for tomorrows mail :) wow I better find one lol.  I heard music wire but i'm not sure. I rather find a Ace :)
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 12, 2019, 07:09:22 PM
serious?  John, Thank you sir. Your package is ready for tomorrows mail :) wow I better find one lol.  I heard music wire but i'm not sure. I rather find a Ace :)

I will confirm the smallest diameter that I bought tomorrow.  When I found it I bought about 6 different diameters to have it on hand. It is pretty high strength spring steel.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

That's what I'm looking for. :)
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Dennis:

I use Floral Wire. My smallest size is 20 thousand's. I have A bundle of  12 thousand's but not sure if it's floral wire.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Karl. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Dennis,

This should give you all you need to know.

http://www.ksmetals.com/17.html

K&S is sold at Ace, Walmart and local hobby shops.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Somewhere I got a steel wire assortment, 3' tube.  That's been very handy!  Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it, it was an industrial supply store, like McMaster-Carr (but I couldn't find it on the McMaster-Car website.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Tom and Dave.....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

bparrish

Dennis....

I don't even let music /piano wire around my work bench.  It is too tough on the cutters and I can't think of much where you would need that springy stuff.

I got a bunch of brass shapes from Micro mark......  they market things in 12 sticks at 12 inches long.  What you get is K&S brass in packages of 4 adding up to the twelve.  They make no effort to hide the K&S.  It is their packaging. 

It is a good price however.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Dennis Bourey

Thanks bob, I never thought of Micro-Mark....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jbvb

I use music wire for handrails etc. at risk of getting bent by handling (equipment) or operators (structures, tops of retaining walls etc.). But it's harder to solder steel than brass.  Tichy's assortment of phosphor bronze wires are easy to solder and more springy than the widely-available 'half hard' brass.  They also offer 3 foot lengths, though I've gotten them from Tichy's stand at the W. Springfield train show rather than experimenting with how they'd survive shipping.
James

Dennis Bourey

James, thank you very much.......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)