Delaware & Northern Construction version 1.0

Started by jerryrbeach, February 05, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

jerryrbeach

Jan,
That is a photo of the Delaware & Ulster Rail Ride's diesel rail car.  It was painted like and named for the Delaware & Northern car.  The DURR operates a tourist train in both directions on the former Ulster & Delaware tracks out of Arkville, NY, the point where the D&N interchanged with the U&D. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

I thought I would take a moment to explain my high tech lighting solution to a portable layout.  As I mentioned in my introductory post, at this time, the layout resides in my dining room.  Like most dining rooms, the lighting consists primarily of a chandelier in the center of the room. 

My original thought was to run a 1x2 or 1x3 vertically up the rear of the modules behind the Masonite backdrop and use the clamp on lights. I had planned to fasten it to the cross brace for the legs using a spacer, and screw it to the rear frame member of the table.

Then it occurred to me it would be easier to balance the lights to eliminate shadows if I could move them horizontally after I had installed them.  I looked for and found the quart of wall paint I had saved for touchup.  That made it an easy decision to hunt up a spare piece of 2x3, locate the studs behind the sheet rock and use three screws to attach the 2x3 to the wall.  When I move the layout, a little spackle and a quick touchup and the wall will be good as new, or at least no worse than it was before. 

I strongly recommend that you not try this shortcut unless you have no significant other to answer to.
Jerry