Woodberry FCSME Module Construction Thread

Started by restocarp, January 10, 2018, 07:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

Ditto what Jan said. Your pre-construction advance work evokes that done by museum curators. Eagerly following...👍🏻

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Very interesting, Matt.

I'm enjoying your thread.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

What a great project, this will be fun to watch.  I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

restocarp

Thanks to all for following along.

While we wait for more foam core, let's finish our tour.

The next building in the rear is the Blacksmith Shop.

This building will likely be built using parts from Railroad Kit's E.F.Smith and Co. as well as some scratchbuilding. This will actually reverse the materials, as the original blacksmith shop was stone with brick additions and the kit is brick, but I doubt many will notice. Here are some shots of the complex as it stands today:

Matt

restocarp

The next and last building along the backdrop will be the company's office building.

This building is going to be kitbashed from two DPM Laube Linen Mill kits.

Matt

restocarp

The last of the foreground structures will be the Machine Shop.

This structure is the one that burned in 1995 and so there is very little of the original left.

This building will be scratchbuilt and (hopefully) have a detailed interior. This will be tricky with a traveling module, so I reserve the right to change my mind on that. Also, in the Sketchup drawing, addition runs past the main building and also shows an open interior. This will actually be a shorter addition with no detailed interior. Only the main machine shop will be open.

On the end of this building I will model the small millrace that runs along the edge of the complex. It will serve to add some dimensional depth to this end of the module.

So that is a very quick rundown of the plans for this 2' x 8' space. It is, admittedly, very ambitious, but it has waited this long, why not go big? Right?

Up next, making stuff.

Matt

engine909

restocarp

So this thread has been languishing, but I have been working on the modules. Slowly but surely.

I completed more mockups for the structures.

A view from the left:

And a view from the right:

I also completed an Micro Engineering thru-girder bridge with scratchbuilt abutments and a billboard (Build thread: http://modelersforum.com/modeling-signage/making-a-billboard-from-an-old-plasticville-piece/ )

I also got the approval of the club modular committee, albeit with one modification.  The drive thru on the erection shop will be eliminated as it is not prototypical. I am OK with this, as I am actually in agreement that it is an unlikely real world scenario. The prototype is a siding going through the building. A double track mainline is a little far fetched. It will also simplify the build, which is important when I am slooooow.

More in a few,
Matt

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

restocarp

Thanks, Greg.

For fabrication of the bridge abutments I used some 1/4" balsa that I have in my stash.

I cut all of the pieces to length.

Laminated two pieces to form the ledge for the bridge.

Used the same method to fabricate the returns and used a handsaw and a plane to continue the ledge.

Some scribed lines, a spray of gray/grey primer and some weathering with some Bragdon powders.

And under load.

Matt

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

restocarp

Some of you may remember(or not) the stone wall casting that I made a few years ago.

This will be the bases for many of the stone structures on the modules.

I sliced and spliced a plaster casting from the above mold to create a modular wall section for the machine shop. (modules on modules)

Here is the master wall section in its mold box awaiting silicone.

The first plaster test copy. The windows are from Tichy. I am deviating from the prototype and setting the windows in like typical masonry windows. I am afraid that the cased openings shown below on the real world structure will not look right to the viewing public. Plus this is easier, and in the interest of time, easier wins.

And the beginnings of a machine shop. These pieces are cast in resin for durability.

The front of the building will require a wood cornice. Here is an historic photo of the front of the building, now no longer standing.

The master for this was constructed from strip wood and dollhouse moldings.

And a detail shot of the master.

And the resin castings from the mold.

And all of the castings, cornice, modular wall and original full stone wall, laid together to show how it will be joined to create the front facade.

Now for much filing gluing and filling.
Matt

restocarp

deemery

That looks great!  But I'm a bit surprised you didn't make the pilasters a separate part, with an indent on each wall where the pilaster would be glued in place.  (That's how my old Model Masterpieces CM Roundhouse was cast.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to