Ogden & Cache Valley RR

Started by Onewolf, April 04, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onewolf

My initial proposal for the helix occupancy status and turnout control panel:

And the upper return loop occupancy status, turnout control, PSX breaker status:

This highlights that the middle level needs some LED light strips in this area under the upper level 'wings' to match the lower level lighting

Starting to work on the middle level backdrop around the center platform.

And that brings us (almost) up-to-date with the current status of the layout construction that I started last July.

ReadingBob

Wow!  That's quite a project Doug.   :D  :D  :D  It looks like you're not too far away from the scenery stage.  I can't wait to see this come to life.

I'm sorry we didn't connect up at the EXPO.  I hope we get to meet you soon.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Janbouli

Okay , with how many people did you do this or how many months did it take you, WOW, I feel like giving up model railroading now ;-)
I love photo's, don't we all.

Zephyrus52246

I really like seeing how people build their benchwork.  Thanks for posting these. 

Jeff

deemery

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 05, 2016, 08:41:07 AM
I really like seeing how people build their benchwork.  Thanks for posting these. 

Jeff
What he said!   dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Onewolf

Quote from: Janbouli on April 05, 2016, 08:12:45 AM
Okay , with how many people did you do this or how many months did it take you, WOW, I feel like giving up model railroading now ;-)

I have 3 people working on the layout. Me, myself, and I.   ;)  I started working on it last July so it's been 9 months of construction. 

The good news is that I have understood that this is going to be a LONG project (years).  My (very optimistic) goal is to have all the mainline/helix/upper return loop/staging track/branchline/service/spur functionally complete by the end of this year (That's basically all the track with the exception of the main classification yard and loco service terminal).  And then terrain and basic scenery complete about 2 years after that.  The really really long pole is the structures/buildings.  I estimate I will need 400-500 for the layout to be 'done'.  That could take.... decades.

ACL1504

Doug,

Okay, well, I didn't see that coming. Great looking layout. Looking forward to getting together. I see you are using Digitrax, are you going to use the signaling system as well? 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Onewolf

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 05, 2016, 09:22:29 AM
Doug,

Okay, well, I didn't see that coming. Great looking layout. Looking forward to getting together. I see you are using Digitrax, are you going to use the signaling system as well? 8)

Tom ;D

Tom, We can schedule a layout visit whenever you would like. 

At this point I don't plan to implement a signalling system during the initial construction (Other than simple occupancy detection/display for the hidden track sections (lower/upper return loops and staging, helix).  At some point in the future I may explore implementing a detection/signalling system, but I have enough on my 'plate' already with my  current plan/schedule.

Twist67

Hi,
wow,that´s a great project. You have done fantastic work on the benchwork.

Regards,Chris

jerryrbeach

Doug,
Wow!  When you design a layout, you design a layout!  I have always been intrigued by the mushroom concept since reading about it long ago.  At the time I wondered if the degree of planning required for the benchwork would be worth the end result.  It certainly looks to me like you have succeeded (and then some). 
I took the time to go through all 241 photos on the first page link.  I found great tips on coving corners and balancing layout lighting, just to name a couple things that stood out. 
Thank you for sharing your endeavors with us. 
Jerry

Janbouli

Do you mind me asking what your first name is ( didn't see it in your posts, but I could be wrong ), this very friendly forum is for the most part on a first name basis, makes conversation easier.

I too have decades to come building my little empire , I truly believe the road to that empire is the most fun part of model railroading. And yes structures take up by far the most of your time , especially if you want to do them to this forums norms  ;)

Onewolf

Quote from: Janbouli on April 05, 2016, 11:35:25 AM
Do you mind me asking what your first name is ( didn't see it in your posts, but I could be wrong ), this very friendly forum is for the most part on a first name basis, makes conversation easier.

Hi, my name is Doug and I'm a train-o-holic. I like to build stuff and I like to photograph stuff.

Janbouli

cuse

The more I look at this - the more astounding it is...I can't imagine that anyone on the planet has ever designed and built benchwork like this. I can't wait to see it in person and try to wrap my brain around it :o

...John