FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Two more shots of the Vallon Paint structure with walls up. First is just the four walls, clamped and drying.

I assembled the dormer, found the roof and added some bracing. The taskboard is thin, and once I glue on (yes, I still prefer glue to transfer tape) the roofing, don't want it to warp or sag.

Not shown, because it is still drying/curing, is the roof paper. I used rattle can flat black, lightly oversprayed with light gray, then a top overspray of flat black again. I like the effect and you will see it in my next installment.  Below are most of the rest of the Vallon Paint components, minus details such as chimneys, exhaust vents, and such.

--George

jerryrbeach

George,

I really like the weathered paint on a painting company, nice subtle humor coupled with some very accomplished modeling.  Adding details to the bay window is a nice way of implying there is detail inside the structure.  Really glad I have a front row seat for this build.
Jerry

Dave K.

Awesome build!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

rpdylan

real nice work there George!

What is the spread of those blue clamps? where did you get them?
thanks
bob c
Bob C.

Opa George

Thanks Jerry and Dave!  Bob, the  blue clamps will accommodate about a seven-inch spread. I like them for squaring up structures while clamping to dry. The locks slide in place with finger pressure, making it easy to adjust pressure.  I found them on e-Bay. I can't find the manufacturer on them, unfortunately.  I want to say Osborn, since I got them at the same time as my file card and I thought they were made by the same company.
--George

jerryrbeach

Bob,

The clamps are made by Excel and come in 3" and 7" lengths.  I have both sizes and find that I have to be careful the clamps are exactly where I want them before pushing the wedge into place, otherwise they work quite well. 
Jerry

Opa George

I put a light coat of white glue on the roof surface and applied the roofing strips, trying to give some contrast in length and shade. I'm always self-conscious that, in trying to make it look random, it will come out looking anything but random.  Below is the roof, ready to go under a heavy book to dry.

Here, trim has been applied to the tops of the walls, the main roof glued down and the dormer glued in place.  For small structures such as this, I like rubber bands to hold the roof to the walls to dry. These have a gentle tension that won't make the walls bow in, but are strong enough to do the job. 

To do yet: apply battens to the roof, weather the roof, apply more light weathering to the walls with pastel chalks. Prep, paint and apply castings: chimney, electrical service, misc.  Make rain gutters and downspouts.  A few more days and this first structure in the kit will be done.
--George

Opa George

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 21, 2019, 07:52:51 PM
Bob,

The clamps are made by Excel and come in 3" and 7" lengths.  I have both sizes and find that I have to be careful the clamps are exactly where I want them before pushing the wedge into place, otherwise they work quite well.

Yes, thank you, Jerry.  Those are Excel clamps.  As soon as I read your post I recognized the name. 
--George

Opa George

Some quick progress pics.

Here I added a piece of black construction paper for a light baffle.  I like how it gives depth.

Here is the Burger Joint cardboard wall ready to go on the base. I have already attached the single solid wall.

More soon.
George

Opa George

While the Burger Joint walls dry, here are shots of Vallon Paint so far.  I applied battens to the roof, added the foundation and fashioned some rain gutters. Still a few more details to add (downspouts, chimney, etc).

And the other side.  No weathering on the roof, yet. That is on the "to do" list.

Below shows how the Burger Joint will attach to Vallon Paint.  I found the cardboard wall to be just a tiny bit large for the base.  I considered cutting it into single wall panels, but in the end decided to square up the front and rear and allow the side wall to sit slightly out from the base. You can see the cutting mat showing between the side wall and the foundation, below.

To remedy that, I will build out the foundation by adding a length of 1/16th square strip wood.  But for now, that is all. Time to quit and watch the World Series.
--George

jerryrbeach

George,

Update photos show some nice progress.  I hope you are planning to darken that batten along the ridge.  It looks pretty bright, though the way it stands out could be the lighting and/or the camera.  I like the decision to add a piece of strip wood to the foundation to make the burger joint walls match the base. 
Jerry

Jerry

George very nice. Looking forward to your progress.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 22, 2019, 09:26:40 PM
George,

Update photos show some nice progress.  I hope you are planning to darken that batten along the ridge.  It looks pretty bright, though the way it stands out could be the lighting and/or the camera.  I like the decision to add a piece of strip wood to the foundation to make the burger joint walls match the base.

Hi Jerry--thanks!  You are right--it does look quite bright in the photo. I didn't notice at first.  There is not as much contrast to the naked eye so my incandescent goose-neck work lamp may be producing some of that.  I also used a piece of strip wood from stock rather from the kit, so different wood with different qualities of showing the driftwood stain as well.  I'll go over it with another bit of stain.
With regard to the foundations--both are supplied with the kit.

--George

Opa George

Quote from: Jerry on October 22, 2019, 10:32:37 PM
George very nice. Looking forward to your progress.

Jerry

Thanks much, Jerry!
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision