FOS' Whalen Apiaries

Started by ACL1504, August 04, 2019, 04:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

For the rear rafters, I followed Doug's template.

If you place the 2X6s on the template it is hard to know just where to cut the angles. The 2X6s cover the template where the cut needs to be made.

Here is a trick I use when using templates like this to cut the rafters.

Draw a pencil line through the area where the 2X6s need to be cut. Shown below.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is another little trick to use. Each rafter doesn't need to be cut on both ends. When one is cut, the angle of the other one is the same angle.

In the photo below, you can see for example, I cut two for the left rafter. This second rafter represents the cut section from the one on the left.

Take the other rafter and reverse the angle and then glue in place. You can see in the next photo the angle is perfect. One cut for two rafter ends.

I used the weights as the paper template had a fold in it.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Front and rear views of the rafters.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Another nice looking kit build Uncle Tommie. 

BTW, are you sure your only drinking a few Diet Pepsi a day?  All this recent model building makes me think otherwise.  Just saying.

8) 8) 8)

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

another beautiful build. Keep up the great work.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on August 11, 2019, 10:53:03 AM
Another nice looking kit build Uncle Tommie. 

BTW, are you sure your only drinking a few Diet Pepsi a day?  All this recent model building makes me think otherwise.  Just saying.

8) 8) 8)

Cousin Brucie,

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I'm drinking two or less Diet Pepsi a day. Water other than that or sweet tea at restaurants.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 12, 2019, 01:16:58 PM
Hey Tom:

another beautiful build. Keep up the great work.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you my friend, much appreciated. This one is almost finished. More photos for you to follow.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The roof cards in the kit didn't fit properly so I cut my own.

Also, there was no mention of roof bracing so I added this as well.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When the bracing was added I added weights to the structure overnight until dry.

The roof panels were glued on and lines were drawn with a pencil to assist in aligning the rolled paper.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added scale 2X6s for the fascia.

I tried something different on the back for the fascia. I added the facia boards unpainted as shown.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When dry, I stained the 2X6s with Hunterline Light Gray A&I.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When dry, I painted them with thinned Floquil Depot Buff to match the rest of the rafters.

Back in a few, time for a cold one - Diet pepsi. 8) 8)

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I made a last minute decision to light this building. The office area needed to be blocked off from the rest of the interior. In the photo below you can see the entire building interior is open.

The rear and side walls were painted flat black.

A piece of cardboard was cut and glued in place as shown.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The kit model had a fascia board on the ends of the building. I prefer the rafter tails exposed so I added the rafter tails set on scale 24" centers.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com