Overhead Trolley Work Motor Project

Started by bparrish, February 15, 2019, 01:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

So I got more bench time than I thought I might ......... got the pilots mounted to the sub frame.
I have a resistance soldering rig so some of this goes really fast.  I use a liquid flux for everything which makes the solder flow go more quickly.  Often a solder will go off but the rosin core has not gotten hot enough yet.  The flux makes it go off at much lower temps.

There some diagonal supports that show in the prototype photos that will have to go on and there is is s TON of clean up left to go....  The super structure is next.
Thanx for looking in..........

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

What a great job . Just curious though , couldn't you have glued the castings Bob ?
I love photo's, don't we all.

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

That is ingenious and looks great Bob.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Jan...

I suppose I could have glued the cast pilots on but the metal is soft and probably would have been pretty fragile.   Besides...............  I was pretty sure from the out set that I would have to make them up. 

They aren't that tough...  Looks tougher than it really is.  It's all about getting the lay out right and square first.  After that you can't miss.

They really are rather fun to make up.  At the end of the day you can tell yourself that you really did something.

Thanx for looking in.
Bob

Bruce Oberleitner

Nice progress Bob.  As always, beautiful work my friend.

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

bparrish

I got some bench time and made up the main deck.  The cutout is due to a raised area in the power truck and also place to get the wires to the decoder.  I am keeping the cut out close so the wiring and electronics are not visible from the bottom.

I have yet to scale out the superstructure but that will happen yet today or tomorrow.

I will run a single screw up through the sheet brass area at each end and grab the bottom of the superstructure in the center line of the car. 

vinceg

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

So progress has slowed a bit..... glue times with wood are MUCH slower that soldering with a resistance rig.  As soon as it cools and you can handle it you move on.  Not with wood and glue.  Some stuff goes pretty quickly when pressed together but the core framing needs overnight to really kick off the glue.

So here is the plan.  Now John Siekirk will get after me for this as he is educated as an engineer and designer.  My engineering is a bit more seat of pants as I worked for Mercedes Benz and Volvo and only went after their designs when they didn't work in the wild and woolly west.  I got called back to the engineering labs in New Jersey a lot in the late 70's to mid 80's.

I had a frame plan from the outset but the superstructure was later in coming.  Well I need it now so I made it up from the best of the photos that I currently have.

I think I have in this plan a way to make the end door to operate.  It was on a sliding track and I think I can do that with a wire on the top of the door and a brass micro tube as a guide receptacle.   Also I will have the roof removable for a complete interior.

Here then is an initial layout on the plan for the side and end walls.  This is all the more of a plan that I need to build this.  I use a combination of scale rulers and metric rulers.  I find fractional rulers to not be precise enough and also you cannot add up lengths and distances easily.  Metric allows you to count up from one..... nothing changes when you get to those things called inches ! ! !

Here is a photo of a panel layout. You can see why my plans get dirt and smudges on them.  I only think to make a photo copy of them later when they are already dirty.

More later.

NKP768

I am with you Brad - I bit the bullet and bought a PBL resistance unit after reading an article in Mainline Modeler several years ago. I actually have gotten to the point where I hate gluing anything that involves a "wait" time. You can literally hold the two pieces to be soldered in your fingers and hit it with heat, make the join, and go to the next piece. I have seen pictures of the Japanese women from the Tenshodo/United factories from the 50's with a table top hibachi and irons in the coals. Amazing when you look at the craftsmanship from the era.

Doug   

deemery

I tried 'micro tube' and piano wire for a working hinge on my roundhouse doors.  The problem I had was securing the micro tube hinge barrel to the door.  Soldering was not an option for me (doesn't work well on a wood door  ;D )  I was using NGineering tubing, that worked well.  So if you can solder their stainless tubing, your track idea should work.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

I got in about four glue sets after the initial ones last night.  Here is the basic superstructure.

The layouts allowed for the door and window inserts on each end.  I'll build the window casements from various strip wood. 

More later
Bob

cuse

Very cool project and excellent execution (as always)   8)