Hotel and Grill

Started by Random, December 02, 2016, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsmcollector67

Roger,
Take a look at the fifth page of the hoffinmier brewery build in scratchbuilding. I did the signs with transfer using matte medium right on painted wood. used regular color printer, just have to mirror image. It would be a little more work for clapboard. I will try it tonight to see how it comes out....and send you a result.
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Random

Loren,

I remember that article and your results look great.  The problem I have is the age old how to get white lettering.  Is there a way to adapt this to get that result?  Beyond that I'm considering having a stencil cut with the lettering and then sponging on the white bit.  I'll be curious to see the results you get with your test on clapboard.

Thanks
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

fsmcollector67

Roger,
I did a test last night, and the clapboard can be tough. I did a quick one, and the raised edges of the clapboard are hard to get the paper off of without removing the ink. will try again tonight. I assume you want it to be like the first picture with the black boarder? if so that is easy, as you simply paint the under coat white, and your letters in essence are clear. if the black boarder is not there, than quite sure how to achieve that one....
will post up my test tomorrow..
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Roger,
Did some quick and dirty tests. The grill sign could have red shading done on it, I did not have a full blown power point version to work in, so only got basic lettering. you could then go back and paint the building color around the letters. Also, there is still some paper residue that still has to be removed. I am still working on the clapboard tests. Here is a quick one I did that came out so...so....I printed these in a low DPI, if you go to staples they can print in 2,000-3,000 dpi. I will have better clapboard tests up tomorrow.
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

Random

Loren,
Those tests look great.  I'll have to play with the technique myself.  The clapboard looks good too.  The bit of image pull off could be touched up for the pool sign I'll need.  Thanks again.

I haven't had much time to work on the build the last couple days.  Got pulled off on family stuff.  I did manage to get the storefront sanded and set up.  I used a couple of styrene gussets to fix the 45 degree angle.

Looks like this will work out nicely.

So I'm wondering, do most of you paint the inside of buildings black unless you are doing an interior?  I know I've seen it done on some builds.

Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

fsmcollector67

Roger,
So I tried in vain to get the clapboard better, but it was just not meant to be. The good news is for the black signs, you can change the letters to white in word, or power point with a black box around them. This will enable you to do them the old fashion way, by just sanding the paper real thin, and gluing on. you could do the same for the grill sign, and then just paint around the letters with the building color. Build is coming out very nice.
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

Random

Loren,
I appreciate your efforts.  The method still does a nice job of a well worn sign on clapboard.  I have access to one of those stencil cutting machines and I'm going to take a shot at making a stencil for the grill sign and the pool sign.  We'll see how that works out.

Today I only managed time to sand window openings so no pictures.  Sorry guys.

In theory the next step should be base coating the walls and putting the final color on the windows that i primed last week. I also need to prime the store front.  I also need to put some thought into the news stand and shoe shine end of the 1st floor.

Roger Hines

postalkarl

HI Roger:

Sounds cool. Good luck with it. I'll be following along.

Karl

fsmcollector67

Roger,
So on the project I am working on, I need to do the same white letters on black background. I found an old kitbash article, that shows how to use dry transfer letters as templates. Here is what I did in five minutes.....first, underside is painted white, letters are applied, that black is painted over. You than remove the letters with masking tape...came out real nice...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

deemery

For my cigar factory, Craig Bisgeier and I did large laser-printer color decals for the signs. I under-painted white, and the decals wewe clear where the white showed through. That worked well for the colorful advertising signs on the side of the building.

you can get inkjet or color laser decal paper to print your own, but be sure to spray the large decals with some sort of fixative to give them strength while you position them.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Random

Loren - Your results look really nice.  I remember that technique from years ago now that you mention it. 

Dave - I've thought about decal sheets too for the black and white signs.  I had some decal making kits somewhere in my stuff.  I'll have to go on a hunt.

Thanks for both suggestions. 

With the holidays and all I haven't made much progress on anything.  I did manage to try out some Dr Ben's aged driftwood stain.  I'm not sure of the results.  On reflection maybe I was supposed to wipe it down after a few minutes?   In any event, I just wanted something as an undercoat for the main wall paint so it should be fine.  Hopefully I'll have more modeling time in the next few days.

Cheers
Roger Hines

oldbloodhound

Nice job Roger.
I'm another one who suggests framing out your roof.  It doesn't have to be complicated framing and once the cardstock is glued to the framing it will be a sturdy one piece construction.
8)

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Rodger.

Some very interesting discussions going on here.  I have saved that font site to my pockets.  Great find!

Looking forward to your continued progress, cheers, Mark.

Random

You guys......:)   I've been pondering how to do framing all day in the back of my mind.  I was really planning to just do some stiffeners and stub rafters on the outside of the walls but now I'm not sure.   I wanted to make this roof lift off so that I could potentially do some lighting effects.  But we will see.  There is time left for that.

I've gone though my on hand supply of paint and picked to colors for the walls.  The lighter color for the walls and the darker for windows, trim, and the metal store front.  I'm planning to weather over the top of these so the lighter color will lighten up to more of a faded look.  This will also let the signs get the same weathering. 

I think I may crack open a yellow box and see how George does the roof structure on one of his larger buildings.....

Cheers   :)
Roger Hines

Random

Dave -  It dawned on me today that they make white decal paper so I can just print the black and white signs on that.  Should be easy.  I'm having stencils cut for the pool and grill signs. 

Roger Hines