Superior & Seattle Railroad Build

Started by S&S RR, December 20, 2013, 10:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmillho

Congrats on reaching a good place on your Railroad.

When do you expect to drive the Golden Spike ?

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on February 15, 2017, 11:26:10 AM
Congrats on reaching a good place on your Railroad.

When do you expect to drive the Golden Spike ?

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  I hope to drive the Gold Spike by May.  I figure I have about 3 months work to finish the remaining track/bench work and wiring. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I ran a twelve car train and made a list of trouble spots that need to be addressed today. It sure was nice to see a train running on the S&S RR.  The list isn't too bad. I have a couple clearance issues inside the mountain that will be fun to fix :o ::) ;) .
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Been there with tunnel clearance issues.  A pain in the butt.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 16, 2017, 11:40:35 AM
Been there with tunnel clearance issues.  A pain in the butt.

Yes they are - both of them are in places where I had to reach in with the gauge to test it when I was installing the track. I have a test car with a block on it that is the real test gauge now that I'm running.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Well, tomorrow I'm back working on the layout after a few days to visit my Grandson and check on the cabin.  I think a fresh look at the clearance issues inside the mountain should be the first order of business.  Driving around the State of Michigan in February on dry pavement and 60 degree temperatures was a real treat. I even got to make the Jeep happy busting through a snow drift to drive into the cabin.  Two years ago there was 4 - 6 feet of snow there in February when I visited. I had my snowshoes in the Jeep just in case.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

S&S RR

Yesterday, I fixed a few of the items off my trouble list and ran a locomotive with a cleaning car over the layout about 6 times.  I will be doing more testing today and moving on with the new track work. Making progress ;D .
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I spent most of the day fixing track issues inside the mountain. I'm getting there with the track work but I just needed a scenery fix.  So I spent the last couple hours of the day adding some trees.  Here is a before and after picture of the area.

There is still a lot of work to be done on this scene but it gives me an idea what the finished product is going to look like.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on February 23, 2017, 09:52:05 PM
Today, I spent most of the day fixing track issues inside the mountain. I'm getting there with the track work but I just needed a scenery fix.  So I spent the last couple hours of the day adding some trees.  Here is a before and after picture of the area.

There is still a lot of work to be done on this scene but it gives me an idea what the finished product is going to look like. I definitely need to adjust the lighting to get the shadows of the mountains off the backdrop. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also took a picture of the HOn3 Trestle on it's way to final installation.  Tomorrow I will be adding some trees behind the trestle and installing it.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

The rock formations and the trestle look outstanding.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

This thread is now locked - for safety. I'm concerned about the size of the file based on the problems we have had on the forum with file loss).  I will be starting a new thread S&S RR build (Volume 2) thread where I will continue the story of this layout build.
John Siekirk