FSM Barnstead Lumber Build

Started by rpdylan, October 21, 2019, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

fsmcollector67

9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

rpdylan

thanks guys, It feels good to have my efforts liked by such great modelers as you!
    the second photo is what I have in mind for the entrance gate....
Bob C.

sdrees

Hey Bob, the model looks great and a job well done on the fence.  I hope the Mod Podge isn't part of your junk pile.
Steve Drees
SP RR

dick green

Looks great. I pulled mine down and started read the instructions.

Dick
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

rpdylan

that is pretty funny Steve!
   The kit is pretty fun to build Dick! The lumber shed is a kit in itself!
   I have been away from the bench for a bit, but have managed to get a bit more done. The back rear section of the diorama was a bit bare, and I thought of putting another junk pile there but then the idea came to me to put a little structure there. I had crossing shanty kit from Bar Mills so I put that together, using the same wall paint as the warehouse.
Bob C.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Bob.

The shanty fits in perfectly.

Cheers, Mark.

NEMMRRC

impressive.

how did you do the rusty metal roof? that is the color metal roofs rust out this way where I live.

Jaime

richbeau

It takes up a lot of real estate so it's really nice to see another one of Barnstead's completed.

Personally yours is only the third one I've see complete. George's of course resided in a few spots on the F&SM. Today only the office/store section remains.  :(
The other was on Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley RR.  Yours is no slouch in comparison.

Beautiful work.
--Rich

darrylhuffman

This kit is one of my favorites.  Mine has been moved and shipped a few times but still essentially intact.

Your build looks great.  Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

rpdylan

thank you so much guys for all the positive feedback! I appreciate it so much,,,, except for all of you forum guys, nobody else ever sees the work! ha ha!
    I still have lots of detail to add to the front yard where the sliding gate is.  The diorama is pretty long, but I narrowed the base because this will butt up against the mainline on the layout, and be up at the front edge.
    Jaime, the metal roofing provided in the kit is pretty thin, which was nice. I primed it with gray auto primer and let it sit for a week.... that being said, the primer still flaked off of the material on the edges after the rust paints were put on..... not happy with that...
as far as rusting goes, on top of the primer I used this Vallejo Rust set (got it at Hobby Lobby),,, just followed the directions using a sponge and dabbing the panels with the various colors..... after the roof was installed, I hit the roof with burnt sienna and (sparingly)  black pastel chalks.....
Bob C.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks beautiful and I love the light weathering and colors.

Karl