Bar Mills Gritty McDuff's

Started by SteveCuster, November 28, 2019, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

I recently mostly finished my version of Gritty McDuffs from Bar Mills.

I condensed the design a bit to fit the area on my layout. I changed a few small things on the kit but mostly I kept to the original design. I did choose not to use the shutters for the main taller building. This photos was taken with the structure placed on the layout.

This shot was taken on the workbench. The main change I made to the kit was I removed the rear section from the taller building. I built it and then found out it wouldn't fit the area. If you follow my layout thread I repurposed it on another smaller building.

This shot better shows how I condensed the area a little.

Ignored the gap between the road and the scenery.

I didn't get too crazy detailing the yard area because it will be very hard to see once it's installed on the layout.

The kit came with 2 tanks but I only had space for one. In the original design this tank sat behind the yellow/ground building but my yard area is much more narrow than the original design so I placed it between the 2 buildings.

I still need to add some vehicles and some little people to the scene. I'll complete it once I add it too the layout.

All in all this was a fun little project and I feel like it works well in the overall feel of the layout.

Steve Custer

Rail and Tie

Wow, Steve, that is fantastic work from you as usual. Really captures the viewers attention. 

What did you use for the cobblestone/brick roadway?  I would love to get some!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Darryl. The roadway is from Downtown Deco. I haven't seen it advertised on his website but he sells them on Ebay. He sells them buy 10 get 5 free. I cut them in half so 15 sheets turns into about 240" of roadway or walls.

I colored these with orange/red auto primer and I weathered them with chalks, A&I and some light drybrushing. I've used these in the past and colored them a more grayish color but this time I went with a more brick. I'm not sure what I like more.

You can see the gray colored version in the foreground of my O'Neills diorama.

Heres a link to an auction with the same stuff but you can probably contact Randy directly and buy some.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Downtown-Deco-Cast-5-hydrocal-brick-cobblestone-HO-Scale-Buy-2-get-1-free/123703150591?hash=item1ccd4847ff:g:XvMAAMXQUShQ8IR1
Steve Custer

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

postalkarl

Hi Steve:

Gritty Mcduffs looks just great. Does this picture of part of A factory on S. main St. In Ambler, Pa look like part of the kit.

Karl

deemery

Great photo, Karl.  Got any more of that site?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

No I do not and iy has been torn down for condos years ago.

Karl

deemery

Quote from: postalkarl on November 28, 2019, 08:37:10 PM
Hey Dave:

No I do not and iy has been torn down for condos years ago.

Karl

Too bad, that sure does look like a model RR kit! 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Steve,

This is another simply stunning diorama scene.  Thank you for sharing the photos with us.   Your layout is definitely going to be something special.
Jerry

Jim Donovan

I agree with Jerry, excellent and a lot to take in.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Steve.

Cheers, Mark.

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Karl, where was that located? I used to live in Ambler in an apartment on the corner of butler and main above one of the stores. Very cool prototype photo.
Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I was on South main St where thr new condos are now.

Karl