Kjeungskjaer lighthouse

Started by madharry, October 07, 2019, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Moving on.............the lighthouse has a fairly complicated roofline. I had previously made a octagon like the base for the top. I am using spare card to make the formers for the roof.

madharry

These were then glued to the roof lines. I have omitted two for now as there is a square hut below the actual light that needs to be allowed for. The roof panels can then be cut individually to fit.

Mike

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Looking good. I'm following along with interest.

Karl

madharry

Thanks Karl.
Moving on.................I need to construct the little shed. Working from photographs and using a calculator to gauge the measurements, I cut three pieces of card as templates for my wood. Having rummaged around I found some suitable off-cuts and cut the shape of walls required.
Mike

madharry

When cutting out the window space on such a small wall I used masking tape on the reverse of the part to avoid splitting the wood.
Mike

madharry

The little shed has been painted and a roof added to support the light platform. A hole has been made for the cable for the flashing light unit to pass through the building.
Mike

Rail and Tie

Nice work Mike!  that looks to be a fun roof line to get all the cuts right.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

madharry

Thanks Darryl, yes the roof is not as easy as some. I have cut my roof panels prior to shingling. The smaller panels were cut to go each side of the shed.
Mike

madharry

Here are the individual roofs duly shingled in Grey Fishscale shingles.................
Mike

madharry

It has been a day of snakes rather than ladders............I was not happy about the height of the shed. So I started again with that item. The roof has been shingled.
Mike

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

barrymk

It's nice to see the old fashioned, common or garden card in a scratchbuild.  Not fashionable these days but a tremendous, pretty well free material source and easy to work with.
Modelling my version of Colorado Narrow Gauge here in the UK.  Any resemblance to reality is purely accidental.

madharry

I added the new shed to the roof. It is more to scale being a little lower than before. I substituted the cardboard walls for thin plasticard. I had to cut out the windows again hmm. I have started to superglue the walls to the ground former. A long way to go but I'm starting to get there. A lot of trial and error but I'm only going to make this once and I want to make it as perfect as I can. The top is not glued in yet but I needed to check the look............

Mike

madharry

Thanks Dennis and Barry for your kind comments.Mike  :)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision