Re-post of my Indiana Layout

Started by John B, July 12, 2014, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I've built it but can reach it. Maybe if I lose 40 pounds and then....well that isn't going to happen so I have to come up with something to be able to reach hard to get places on the layout.

John B

We've made it to 2006. I've come up with a tentative trackplan. Don't remember why I drew the arrows on the plan. Missing in the trackplan is the single track in the top of the plan going around the mountain into the business area.

John B

I've cut the foam and put them in place. I've even cut out the future water ways.

John B

Here we see all of the support pieces for the mountain area.

John B

Looking at the framework, I notice that there is no access area to build the mountain. The mountain sticks out 6-feet from the wall and there would be no way that I could reach the elevated track that will be put in this area. I've cut out an access area and started cutting the mountain track supports out of 1/2 inch plywood. I bought some Woodland Scenics inclines to raise the single track to enter the mountain.

John B

Another shot of the plywood trackwork supports

John B

Here we see the plywood supports being screwed/glued in place. They had to be placed in at the foam level. So they are all placed at 2.5 inches above the framework. The 1/2 inch being the plywood base

John B

Around-the-walls type layouts utilize the available area pretty well; but you have to allow for room to build them. I only have enough room to stick my head up in this shot. But once the work is done, this area should be maintenance free (I hope)

John B

Here we see the double track return loop mainline in place under the mountain area. You can see the upper single track in the shot. This single track will eventually go over a trestle and come into a business area. Unknown type of business at this time. I've also glued the double-track main cork roadbed in place

John B

I'm gluing down the cork roadbed in this shot. Yes, that's a computer that I using for a weight. Hey, I had to use something. You can see the upper single track section better in this shot

John B

This is a pretty good photo of the mountain access area. It is large enough for two skinny people or me; but not both.

John B

It's kind of fun looking back at these pictures watching my progress.  This is our third house; but the first one with a basement. The basement was unfinished and I built Joan a sewing room; a computer room with mine and her computers, a TV room complete with wide screen TV and a storage area larger than our first house.  I was probably around 61-62 at the time and I was working 10-hours a day, 6 days a week as a Tool Maker.  Now I'm retired and all the time in the world, and...well...maybe that's the problem. I have all the time in the world; so subconsciously I feel what's the rush.   Oh well; back to the history lesson.

This is the single track going around the mountain to the proposed business. I want to place a trestle here; but haven't found one yet. This area will remain like this for a very long time.

ak-milw

I feel for you John, I had to do this same thing when the site I had my pictures on went down and took all the photo's with it. But like you said it is fun going back in time.

Twist67

Quote from: John B on August 27, 2016, 10:32:09 AM
This is my standard train building garb; sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Hey looking good.... you´re looking like me when I´m working on my layout. ;)

Nice work on the layout,too. Great looking benchwork.

Regards,Chris

John B

I didn't do much for a whole year. I was hospitalized and in recovery for about 6 months. The layout just sat for a while. I've cut a piece of foam to make a cover for the access hatch. You can see a waterway cutout in the picture. I've bought a Rusty Stumps Ships Chandler to put in this space.