Re-post of my Indiana Layout

Started by John B, July 12, 2014, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I was going to post a new picture into My Layout Tour folder: The G&D in Indiana.  The picture was a little to large, and I hit the modify post button.  I thought the next button I pushed was delete last entry; but I guess it said delete folder...any way; my layout tour folder is gone.  I am going to try to repost my accidentally deleted topic about my trials and errors (A lot of them) in building my first real layout

S&S RR

Oh no! I don't even want to know you can do that.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I would send Robert Seckler a PM message and see if he can help.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

I'd like to learn there is a solution and that the folder can be restored. I did this on the other forum and was able to retrieve the folder. The deleted folder was in the recycle bin!

John, did you check and see if the folder is in the recycle bin?
Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

John B

This first post is a test to see if there is any interest in viewing my layout build.

After pondering this for quite a while; I have finally decided to post a thread about my layout. A little disclaimer, I am probably the slowest builder around. I procrastinate a lot. What you are about to see started back in 2005. I was working quite a lot of overtime and did very little work on the layout for years; plus I only work on it for a few hours during the weekend. A little side note, this is the first real layout that I have ever built, other than the traditional 4x8 sheet of plywood.Enough apologizing for now; here is the story of my layout from the get-go complete with mistakes.We moved to Indiana from Oregon in 2005 (Work transfer). This is the first house that we've owned that had a basement. So now I can build that layout that I've always wanted.First the wood to finish the basement:

ACL1504

John,

I think all of us are interested in following along. You must understand though that even posting your progress, you'll only get a few "faithfuls" that will regularly post to your thread.

As an example, I'll post updates and get 1,500 new views in a 36 hour period but will only get less than a dozen comments if that.

I'm interested.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

John, I enjoy watching others build their layouts, I'm in.   ;D   I may be slower than you, I let the layout sit for 10 years with no progress. 

Jeff

BandOGuy

John,
I am very interested in your layout and photo progress.
I've got until the week before Election Day to build what I can and pack all of it and the rest prior to moving it to a new, unpurchased basement. And, at 73 years old, I figure I have one shot at getting it right when I get started. Not to be selfish, but any and all mistakes you make and tell us about will be greatly appreciated.
What era and railroad are you going to model or is this going to be free lanced?  :) 8)
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Janbouli

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 26, 2016, 09:30:35 AM

As an example, I'll post updates and get 1,500 new views in a 36 hour period but will only get less than a dozen comments if that.

Tom ;D

That's why I like the Thanks button on the Nscale.net forum, it shows someone is following and liking your posts without needing the thread filling ata boys. 
I love photo's, don't we all.

bparrish

John.......

I'm in for another layout build.

But......... regarding procrastination........ I had two maxims that served me well both in the military and much later..... a school district.

First was:  Never put off till tomorrow what you can postpone indefinitely.

But that was later trumped by:

The sooner you get behind..... the more time you have to catch back up.

With that........

I'll help you build from a distance with a cup of coffee in my hand.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

sdrees

John,

I will be following your posts.  It is always interesting to see the different techniques and ideas that we use to build our layouts that we may incorporate in our own layouts from the bench work, electrical, scenery etc.  I am always looking for ideas for my own layout.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

John

I would encourage you to post pictures of your layout progress.  Like Tom said, and I have also experienced with my layout thread,  you will get lots of views and a few comments. 

I had an experience at a train convention a few years ago that keeps me posting to my thread.  A gentleman in a wheel chair came up to me and introduced himself and said - John my layout building days are over but I check your thread every day to see how your doing on yours. He said he didn't feel comfortable posting but really enjoyed the progress pictures. So every chance I get I post a few pictures for **** and thank GOD that I can still work on my layout.

I think you will find that you will gain a following if you post regularly.  I for one will stop by once in awhile to see what your up too.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John

I forgot to say that every great layout starts with that pile of 2x4's. 
John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on August 26, 2016, 04:01:02 PM
John

I forgot to say that every great layout starts with that pile of 2x4's.
An alternate phrasing, "It's A Good Day when you turn wood into sawdust."    :D ;D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ak-milw