Norway layout by Mike Carter

Started by madharry, November 17, 2016, 10:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Thanks Greg and Jan, I appreciate the support.
Mike :D

donatode

madharry

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Thanks Tom.

A big parcel of scale wood arrived yesterday from Northeastern. Yippee!!!

Now I can start scratch building the Norwegian structures.

I will start with the freight shed that stands at Hell Station. I have a colour picture of the building and I was trying to size it for HO use. I hit on the idea of reducing the picture in size on my photocopier until I could stand a HO scale Preiser against the doorway. Here is a picture of the original with the reduced size one and a little white figure. The reduction I used was 69% but it will vary depending on the size of the original. I have tried the same scheme with a picture of a shop in Bergen and that had to be reduced to 49% to match the pedestrian in the photo.

Mike

madharry

There has been a lot of modelling done already for this layout - the Bergen Houses, the norwegian homes etc on other threads.

But now it is getting serious. The layout has been invited to the Eurorail Exhibition in the Birmingham area the end of September 2019.
So I while am still undecided how the track plan will work, the main deciding feature is will it fit into the car? On that basis I received today a large pack of baseboard kits from Tim Horn Baseboards. These are the scenic/photo variety and will initially build into a 11ft by 2ft scenic area.
Here are the boards awaiting attention.
Mike

jerryrbeach

Mike,

Interesting approach to the construction.  I'll be following along, not that I wasn't already.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Mike I'll be following to see how you use the wood.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Thanks Jerry and Curt. I hope to start the build before Christmas.
Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

I'm following as well. This just makes it official. ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Cheers Tom. I'm looking forward to the challenge. After Red Hook Bay and Cheffley, this will be my third build of an exhbition layout on this forum. Besides the board building I will follow through with the electrics, scenery and track planning.
Mike

madharry

I have started building the first board. This board is 4ft by 2ft. The holes are all pre-drilled and I have added the long centre spline to the three shorter pieces. I have used a liberal dose of Hard as Nails to glue these together.

Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

Great start and I must say you are a brave man with that open tube of glue on the carpet.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Those module kits are really interesting. I've seen in English magazines and threads on FB(the prominent UK modeler/photog's name eludes me) where these prefab kits transform quickly and neatly into shadowbox modules...Is this one of those?

madharry

Quote from: cuse on January 20, 2019, 08:56:20 AM
Those module kits are really interesting. I've seen in English magazines and threads on FB(the prominent UK modeler/photog's name eludes me) where these prefab kits transform quickly and neatly into shadowbox modules...Is this one of those?
Chris Nevard is the man you mean and yes it is a shadowbox module - in fact three joined together ultimately.
Mike