Ogden & Cache Valley RR

Started by Onewolf, April 04, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Doug,

Great engineering work as well as beautiful modeling. It's very inspirational to watch you crushing all the tasks.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Onewolf

I built a frame for the KREW hiway billboard.

And installed the billboard face on the frame.

I built the classic Atlas "Signal Tower" kit with the Vector Cut Enhancement ver 2 package.

After spray painting the first floor walls, using Roberts Mortar, and painting the electrical conduit and junction box.

I'm going to light and detail the interior of the 2nd floor so it needs a....  floor.  I used photoshop to create this wood floor.

The Vector Cut windows are composed of 3 layers of laser cut wood and 2 layers of clear acetate.

And they look good.

I'm using a Faller kit for the interior details.

Priming the interior detail parts.

The yard diagram on the status panel matches the south end of the layout's main classification yard. I exported the yard diagram from my layout design plan in 3rd Planit and then photoshopped it to produce the yard status panel.

The test of the interior space/layout

Starting to add the lighting circuit.

The teenie tiny little nano LCD in the gooseneck lamp that will go over the doorway.

Deciding on the exact location on the layout.  It looks good so far. I still have some Vector Cut wood trim boards to add and I want to add a light in the first floor.

I'm starting to work on Downtown Deco's "DD1009 - Old Warehouses" kit.  I had started the kit about 5 years ago but I was unhappy with the paint job so I reprimed both buildings and started over.  This is what the first building looks like after spray priming white.

And the base color

I'm going to light this interior so I painted the walls flat black and installed a 'wood' floor.

After using Roberts Mortar

After a dark wash has been applied and testing the window/door frame colors. I decided I don't like the light gray door frames so those will be repainted before they are installed for real.

I tried using the "Diamante Shipping" stencil provided with the kit however I failed miserably....

The stencil/paint bled really badly.

Trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I cleaned up the sign as much as possible and then put a light coat of the building's base 'Toffee' color on top in order to try to create a 'Ghost' sign.

Adding lighting

People from central Florida might recognize the "Todd's Tomatoes" signs.... The roof panels are not glued/weathered for this test.

I mounted the Todd's Tomatoes sign on 12x12 wood posts to project it out from the ghost sign.

The ghost sign turned out pretty good.

The second building in the DD1009 kit has boarded up doors/windows.

After the base coat of paint and trim is painted.

After the Roberts mortar was applied but before the excess was wiped off.

After wiping off the excess mortar.

After a dark wash has toned down the bright colors.

Still have a long way to go on this building....

NKP768

Doug
Nice recovery on the stenciled sign -looks good

Doug

rpdylan

great save on the "ghost sign"!!! I learned that when using stencils, my sponge is DRY!! yup, I learned the hard way also!
Bob C.

Janbouli

The ghost sign doesn't look good , it looks great .
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Excellent modeling and thinking on your feet Doug.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Erieman

Doug,

It has been a while since i last saw your layout progress and wanted to share this video with you. We have a layout under construction here in Arizona by Verryl Fosnight and i thought you might be interested in seeing it. Verryl is modeling the Union Pacific from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Odgen, Utah. The layout is about 4,000 sq. ft. He has several full time employees helping him build this layout. The layout will be one of the featured layouts at our NMRA regional convention this september. I have attached a link of our convention which includes layouts tours and Verryl's layout. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but thought you might want to see what he is creating. If you have any questions or want to know more send me a PM. Enjoy the video.
Frank / Erieman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOi7bDpGTDs