Cherokee Auto Parts

Started by richbeau, July 23, 2019, 04:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richbeau

I've been hanging around here for awhile (~2-1/2 years) without making many posts and just generally being a pest. I'm guessing I should contribute something. I'm a bit slow with all the things going on here at home. We're trying to sell the old homestead and downsize. So bear with my slowness. In any case here it goes...

Walker Evans photo - 1936, Atlanta, Georgia
Look familiar?

I always fancied scratch-building it but never got around to it when Frank Bernard (fbernard65) pointed me to this...

It's an HO-scale resin kit designed by Thom Yorke and produced by Dennis Brandt (Branline Train Sales, Norfolk, Nebraska). If you click on the photo it will take you to the website. I don't have any affiliation though Frank did the signage.

I'm doing something a bit different... It's 18 years later (1954). It should still look pretty much the same as the original though the paint is a bit worn and not as much clutter. Well maybe it's just a different kind of messy. I'm thinking a little diorama (about 8"-10" square) - add sidewalks, a street, junk out back, some vehicles (probably my first ever Sylvan kit or three), etc

The kit arrived in the mail about a week ago. Give me a bit to clean up the pieces.

--Rich

PaulS

Hey there Rich, hope all is well with you ...
Looks like an interesting project there and looking forward to your interpretation from the 1950's ...

And good luck with your pending move and downsizing.   We recently went through a new build and move as well into what is planned to be our 'last' home ....
All the best,
--Paul (newly of Marshfield, MA)
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

fbernard65

Rich,

Looking forward to your progress.

Frank

postalkarl

Hey Rich:

I'm here with Frank on this one.

Karl

richbeau

Yo PaulS long time... We should try to get together and swap tales.

fbernard65 You're to blame  ;)

postalkarl I've gotten a lot of great tips from you.

Thanks all for the follow.
--Rich

Dave K.

Looking forward to following along!

richbeau

Quote from: Dave K. on July 24, 2019, 07:22:29 AM
Looking forward to following along!

Welcome to the party.   8)
--Rich

richbeau

Here's a glimpse at the major kit parts.

The castings definitely have some nice detail.

While cleaning the castings of flash I discovered that I'm missing a couple of pieces - a couple of rear walls and a window from the front wall. After messages back and forth I should have them on Friday.

In any case I primed the major walls.

I've decided to fill the hole in the front wall. Just won't work for me.  ::)
Instead of the missing kit window I used an old Grandt Line that looks more like the original.

With luck I'll have these walls painted if not complete before the missing parts arrive. The rear wall pieces will have to play catch-up.
--Rich

S&S RR

I will also be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

richbeau

Quote from: S&S RR on July 25, 2019, 09:12:49 AM
I will also be following along.

Thanks for the follow John!
--Rich

postalkarl

Hey Rich:

Looking goods so far.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Rich, I will be following also, Beautiful job!!!.........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

Rich, I'm following along on this build, too.  Those resin cast walls have a lot of character. Eager to see how it comes along for you.
--George

richbeau

Quote from: postalkarl on July 25, 2019, 03:23:14 PM
Hey Rich:
Looking goods so far.
Karl

Thanks Karl

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 25, 2019, 04:50:20 PM
Rich, I will be following also, Beautiful job!!!.........Dennis

And that's just the primer!  ;D

Quote from: Opa George on July 26, 2019, 07:20:35 AM
Rich, I'm following along on this build, too.  Those resin cast walls have a lot of character. Eager to see how it comes along for you.
--George

In starting to paint them and they're starting to pop George.

Thanks to both of you for the follows.
--Rich

richbeau

A few weeks ago I went through a purge of my much too large collection of paint brushes. I still have a few sable brushes but acrylics tend to dry them out. I tossed 90% of the cheap ones. And because I'm hell-on-wheels I kept some - they make good dry brush tools. So most of the synthetics ended up in the barrel.

The other day these arrived...

So far I really like these. I'll probably 'need' to purchase a few more. 8)
--Rich

PS I should have a pic of three walls later today.