SS LTD Roundhouse

Started by sdrees, June 23, 2019, 10:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I'll be following along.

Karl

sdrees

I spent some time today working on the floor for the roundhouse.  I added a piece of 1/8" foamboard to the bottom of the 1/2" Gatorboard to add thickness to the base so that the inspection pits will be 5' deep.  Also, since I am using code 70 rail, I had to add a 6x6  underneath where the rail will be placed because the floor material furnish is .10" thick and I am going to cover the floor furnish with the kit with Monster Modelworks Cracked Jointed Concrete as shown in the picture
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

Glad to have you follow along Karl and Curt!
Steve Drees
SP RR

deemery

Great choice for flooring!  At one point I was talking to Jimmy about "end block" laser-cut sheets, but we agreed there was probably not enough demand for that product. 

The SS Ltd kits are great designs, modern materials will make the model even better.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

sdrees

Continued work on the floor. I've got the  cracked jointed concrete glued down and the inspection pits walls lined with the formed concrete sheets.  I have been experimenting with the finishing of the floor as you can see in the lower corner. I used 3M spray adhesive to glue down the floor material
Steve Drees
SP RR

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Great job on that concrete floor. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karl

deemery

Something to try for the floors:  Get some charcoal, crush it, and just smear the charcoal dust all around.  Then use some gloss medium in a couple spots to reflect water or grease spills.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Steve,

Great job on the floor, looks very good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

It is looking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

Steve, nice choice for the flooring on this structure. It looks great.
--George

sdrees

Thanks everybody for your comments on the floor.  I have to confess that I screwed it up when I was trying to finish it.  Fortunately, I have extra flooring and will try again.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

I took the die cut wall and used it for a template for the side walls made out of the monster modelworks cut stone and brick.  I had the laser cut material made from 1/16" basswood instead of the 1/8" material that is his standard product.  So when the brick and the cut stone material is glued together, it is the same thickness as the window casement castings.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

The brick looks really good.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

That is going to look so much better than the pressed paper stuff.  So the walls will have a stone exterior and a brick interior?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond