Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

Jim...

Thanx for coming up with your story about you and this railroad.

I'm in............

keep going

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

GPdemayo

Neat idea Jim, the Super Trees are nice, but the trunks are nowhere near to scale, unless you are modeling new growth trees...... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

Thanks guys. I plan to do a little more work on modifying the wire technique. I plan to introduce smaller wire (30-34 gauge) with the standard 28 gauge and use some of the ideas floating around on making the trunks more realistic (and more correct size). The goal is to get the branches thin enough and the trunk thick enough so that you could just use the Scenic Express leaves as they really look good.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Meet the latest addition to the layout:

Siotkowski Supply & The District Maintenance Office for the Miami & Erie Canal

The structure is based on the CCK Carolina Post Office Kit with Campbell corrugated roof, Monster Models brick foundation and Bar Mills fence.

This first picture has the kit turned around from its real position so you can see the front clearly. In its permanent location its' back is to the track you see.

ACL1504

Jim,

Thanks for the update. The trees look good and remember the more you do the better the outcome.

I think for just getting into the hobby you are far ahead of others in skill. Keep up the great work.

Regards, to Deb, the Boss.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Jim,

Great job on the supply office. I love the porch rails. Well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

I saw this kit when Tom Langford (ACL1504) showed a detailed tread build. Having started the kit in February while in Ohio it sat partly done when we went back to Florida for three months. There I was able to see his version of the kit in person when my wife Deb  and I visited in May. What a fantastic layout he is building and his workmanship is truly impressive. I posted a picture of his building previously. Here is a picture of the CCK kit as sold:

Jim Donovan

Tom's directions became the starting point for my own structure. The building itself brought back great memories of my days as a salesman traveling the back roads of north Florida, South Georgia and South Alabama during the late 70's and early 80's. That is why I picked the kit for my own layout.

To put the kit in NW Ohio during the fall of 1908 I needed to make several changes. To begin with I decided go with a early style corrugated roof. Research indicated  2 x 4 iron painted corrugated sheeting was common around 1910. The small length was to help transporting it to where needed.

The supply store part of the structure is based on National Supply. A company that provided tools and supplies needed for the oil drilling going on in the area. This company was in most small towns that had oil rigs in the area. However, after 1920 I found no mention of them so have no idea what happened to original firm.

The Miami Erie Canal Maintenance office is on the right side of the structure as you look at it. As it needed equipment and supplies for canal repair I put an enclosed deck on that side with gates.

Both operations would be handling heavy loads so the deck has a loading dock area on the right, the posts are 8 x8, side boards 2 x 6, floor boards 2 x 6 x 12 feet (unless needed cutting to fit). The structure itself sits on a brick foundation (Monster Modeling, just when I found them they are gone!). Finally the steps are 2 x 12 as are the step bracing to handle the loads. Finally, just as structures in the south were white to beat the heat, they were dark to hold the heat, thus the Pullman Green base. The decks are Hunter Driftwood (used that cool stain tray I saw others built and used).

The Siotkowski's have not yet moved in but said I can show the pictures as it is almost done. Signs, a couple of roof vents, turnbuckles to keep the gates from sagging are needed and the owners have asked for hand railings for the steps front and back. Since they are both in their 60's probably best!

I won't bore anyone reading with all the techniques and tricks I used to build it. Tom's building directions are way better then anything I could say. I do want to say thank you to everyone in the forum for their postings. This was the first kit I made since joining the group and it was the postings that allowed me to learn and make this kit. Special thanks to Tom Langford for the building directions and follow up help as well as Greg DeMayo for this construction knowledge (and straight forward honesty), Several others helped answer questions and pointed me in the right direction when I was coming up blank.

I do have to put in one thing; Bob Parrish you are right, glass makes a difference, thanks to you and Dave K., for techniques on cutting it and installing. By the way it was not as easy as the video showed but I only had to cut a couple of slide covers. Due to making the windows and doors flush (removing the battens in area) they were flush with the back wall allowing for simple installation. I included a picture that really shows the effect the glass made.

Once the Siotkowski's move in and the businesses are humming I will post a picture of completed scene.

ACL1504

Jim,

This view of the building shows it fits perfectly in the scene. I'm sure you've already thought of this but adding a few details and weeds around the diagonal support braces will give the appearance the building been there for some time.

Again, great job.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

Thanks and appreciate the landscaping reminder. I planned some but you are right, it is a great opportunity to bring the building to life, especially the deck areas. I will talk to the landscaping people once the General Contractor finishes the punch list st.

Jim Donovan

Siotkowski Supply along with the District Office for the Miami Erie Canal are open for business. The General Contractor is just going down the front steps. Jan Siotkowski is overseeing the supplies arriving from a recent train freight delivery. John Siotkowski is taking the supplies from the railroad man with the cart. In the back is the hired help, trying hard not to help!

In today's world the Siotkowski's are good friends, I write a story for each person on the layout as well. They are both from Toledo so sending them back in time to NW Ohio was easy.

The fenced storage area will contain supplies for the repair of the canal. Siotkowski Supply provides a wide array of tools and equipment for the local oil drilling companies (based on the real National Supply Co.).

The General Contractor is taking his earnings to treat his bride to a road trip up to Petoskey, MI tomorrow. When back it is clean up/ scenery time. 

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jbvb

Regarding the Woodland Scenics cast metal armatures a few posts ago: I find they have a good shape for apple trees.

Regarding small wire for branches: Fine copper from lamp cord or flexible welding cable works well, once you've got the factory's lubrication off it.
James

GPdemayo

Well done scene Jim.....have a fun trip.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

Thanks Greg and Curt. Glad you like how it came out. I'm not sure if you guys feel the same but I always feel like I need to do it again. If I did it would take half as long and look better.