Norway layout by Mike Carter

Started by madharry, November 17, 2016, 10:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 20, 2019, 08:27:58 AM
Mike,

Great start and I must say you are a brave man with that open tube of glue on the carpet.

Tom ;D
I had permission Tom. There are sheets of newspaper under the boards but Mrs C has already got colour swatches of new carpet that she plans for the room.
Mike ;)

ACL1504

Quote from: madharry on January 20, 2019, 10:28:36 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on January 20, 2019, 08:27:58 AM
Mike,

Great start and I must say you are a brave man with that open tube of glue on the carpet.

Tom ;D
I had permission Tom. There are sheets of newspaper under the boards but Mrs C has already got colour swatches of new carpet that she plans for the room.
Mike ;)

Mike,

I love Mrs. C.!

No way my babe would allow that even with newspaper. I had to build my own 20 X 50 building so I could spill glue on the carpet.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

Following this with great interest Mike , thinking of getting that modular system for my H0 layout , that I want to build to go to shows with.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Tom I am very lucky to have Mrs C! ;D
Mike

madharry

Thanks Jan and Curt.
Jan these are very well made. Counter sunk holes have been pre-drilled for the supplied screws. My electric screw driver has gone caput so I am buying a new one tomorrow.
In this series of photos you can see how one board , the left hand end,  goes together. Obviously this is test run since it is easier to glue and screw at the same time.
Mike

PRR Modeler

That's a neat setup and must weigh significantly less than using traditional building material.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

Yes they do. It certainly helps at exhbitions as the wife  (the lovely Mrs C) and I are not getting any younger.
Thanks for following Curt.
Mike :)

madharry

Here is the first board nearly completed. There are 50+ pre-drilled counter sunk holes in this board and my new electric screwdriver came in handy. The fit is very precise and the board looks great in the flesh. I am not going to fix the front fascia or light bar to the board yet as this will impede my modelling efforts in laying the track or scenery.
Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

Nice job on the build. I also appears a lot of thought went into the design of the box. It looks lightweight and yet sturdy. It should be perfect for you and Mrs. C. displaying at shows.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Thanks Tom, I agree.
Here are pictures of the completed boards. These are posed on the floor for convenience but will be displayed on trestles with a track height 4ft above the floor.They measure 11 ft x 2ft x 2ft. I'm hoping to fit an additional 5ft x 2ft fiddle yard at one end.
Mike

Janbouli

Love how well they look Mike , but correct me if I'm wrong , these are 3 modules so the price is about 400 pounds correct? I would look for something like this in Netherlands or Germany anyway, because of shipping would probably be expensive too.

madharry

Yes £408 which included postage and 2 pairs of metal dowels (£18). They come with wooden dowels which are perfectly OK for home use but I prefer metal ones for exhibitions. The kits are supplied with all the screws, panel pins, bolts and the holes are all pre-drilled. This is a really quality product and I am very impressed. I will use them again on future projects.
A friend of mine Graham Muspratt used a 5ft x 1ft board for his new exhibition layout Canute Road - £120 inc. postage.https://grahammuz.com/category/canute-road-quay/
Mike

madharry

When a plan does not go to plan. The boards should have fitted the car. I thought the boards were 61mm high but they are 71mm high. They will not fit! :-[
So I have ordered some more, this time 61 mm high but unfortunately only 18 inches wide rather than 24 inches. So less real estate to work with. I am committed to exhibit at the European Railways Association show in September. So the show must go on. The other boards will have to be used as small dioramas instead. So more modelling.................. ;)
Mike

Janbouli

Wow , Mike , the 1 cm in hight is the difference in fitting or not fitting , how cruel.