Bar Mills Graves Elevators

Started by Vilius, August 04, 2016, 11:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilius

I've been wanting to build the Graves since the announcement just like many other kits. When I get new kit I open it, look at the content, imagine building it, and the put it away with the rest of them. Initially I did the same thing with the Graves too but then it got a sponsor and that elevated its status. This is when I cracked and had classic case of lack of self discipline. I pulled some parts out of the box and started working on it. After a little while I decided that I should finish the other projects first so I put the parts back in the box. Then I repeated the sequence again several times. About a month ago I dedicated two or so evenings just to Graves and built the shell for the stucco part of the building. I was going to apply the stucco next day but then this high pitch voice said: "What if the upper clapboard wall sections don't fit? After you apply stucco there will be no good way to make the adjustments". While I don't always listen to my other bosses I have to obey this one  8). I put the shell aside until I have the upper wall sections ready. It may be awhile before I have them done but since I had my camera out yesterday I took couple of pictures.

Vilius

Mark Dalrymple

Wow! What a great kit.  Amazing looking structure!  That will look fantastic when finished!  What an unusual and neat building!

There Villius - add those to the other voices in your head and this kit might get higher priority!

Cheers, Mark.

rpdylan

I have not opened mine yet, it is a cool structure- I was able to see what Jack Ellis did with it: he cut it in half and made a longer, narrower structure, pretty cool.  I will be watching your build with great interest!
Bob C.

MAP

Hey Villius!  Nice start so far.  I'll be watching your build since I have one of them in the closet as well.  Hope you post lots of pictures and any commentary (good & bad) would be helpful when I try tackling mine. 
Mark

Janbouli

Quote from: TheUkranian on August 04, 2016, 11:06:11 AM
I've been wanting to build the Graves since the announcement just like many other kits. When I get new kit I open it, look at the content, imagine building it, and the put it away with the rest of them.

You open them  ??? ??? ???
I love photo's, don't we all.

Vilius

Thank you, everyone, for stopping by.

I should be able to kick it into higher gear soon. The CCK kits are relatively small, the bunch of castings I am painting is almost finished. The Olympics may get in the way over the next couple of weeks but I am more Winter Olympics fan. Nothing beats cross country skiing or biathlon.

I open all of the boxes. I love the smell of burnt wood. It is just like the smell of the new car. And in case of one manufacturer I go through the parts list to make sure all of them are accounted. I understand that unopened box potentially has higher resell value but I am going to build them all  ;D.

Now I want to ask for a favor. If you have open box as well would you mind placing the big roof part on top of the base (sidewalk/foundation part to see if they match). I checked my construction several times and I couldn't find any errors. My suspicion is that some of the roof angles may be wrong. If not then I have to find where did I make the mistake.

Vilius

ReadingBob

Count me in as one of the followers of this thread.  This one certainly looks different and it should be fun to follow along.  I know what you mean about opening boxes and then putting them on the shelf.  I have at least two (FOS Magic Shop and CCK Shoppes on Concord Street) that I primed the castings for but put back on the shelf afterwards.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

MAP

Villius,
I've heard that there may be errors in the cutting of the kit.  Someone else that is building it for a friend of mine had issues.
Mark

cuse

This is one of the most unique, distinctive kits to come out in a while. I'm excited to see what such a talented modeler does with it!

John

tom.boyd.125

Vilius,
Since this was a very small product run of 125 kits, did some research tonight and found Bar Mills made a 4 part You Tube video series to help on the construction of this limited run kit, which is almost 1 hour long....listened to a little of it, and if you don't follow their suggestions, you may have issues. Lots of tips, don't know if the instructions mention all the info in the videos....Some walls were made longer since they had to be beveled, etc. the video tells you what side of the kit wall to bevel / shorten, to get the fit right, or where to put tape so walls don't get stucco material, etc.....Bar Mills even suggests to do this step before that step in the kit assembly, etc....Hope this helps !
Here is the link to the first video, and after it's over part 2 should start up !  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoT1-i9Z0o

Also on your question on the roof template, they show that near the end of the part 2 video, how it was used to square up all the walls and check for correct angles of the structure as the assembly takes place.   8) 8) 8)

Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Vilius

Thank you for the comments, everyone. I didn't realize how long it has been sitting on the back burner until I opened this thread and looked at the date. I had couple of lunch break projects I wanted finish first before getting back to the Graves. I am actively working on it now but there are not so many lunch breaks left this year so I may take it home and work on it over the holidays.

Vilius

postalkarl

Hi Vilius:

Walls look great. Just the right amount of weathering. Will be following along.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on December 05, 2016, 12:10:33 PM
Hi Vilius:

Walls look great. Just the right amount of weathering. Will be following along.

Karl

Vilius,

I agree with Karl, the walls are just perfect in color and weathering. I'm following also.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

rpdylan

Really nice work. I picked this kit up at Springfield and thinking of jumping into it next year....Please keep posting as your build yhread will be an awesome reference!
Bob C.

MAP

Looking good Vilius.  Did watching the video help you out with figuring out what was going on with the roof angles not matching?  Keep the photos coming.
Mark