Cherokee Auto Parts

Started by richbeau, July 23, 2019, 04:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

I use those angle shaders A LOT.  I have them in several different sizes, mostly sable/synthetic, but also some bristle. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Judge

I am fascinated with the 1936 photograph.  The "clutter" is too much to carry inside every night and place outside every morning.  I suspect the threat of thievery was lower in those days.  Today, anything not nailed down would be missing overnight.

Very interesting model.  It captures 1954 very well.

richbeau

Quote from: deemery on July 26, 2019, 09:35:47 AM
I use those angle shaders A LOT.  I have them in several different sizes, mostly sable/synthetic, but also some bristle. 
dave

Yeah I like those shaders. Got a line on a smaller one?
--Rich

richbeau

Quote from: Judge on July 26, 2019, 11:09:40 AM
I am fascinated with the 1936 photograph.  The "clutter" is too much to carry inside every night and place outside every morning.  I suspect the threat of thievery was lower in those days.  Today, anything not nailed down would be missing overnight.

Very interesting model.  It captures 1954 very well.

As a documentary photographer I have an affection for many Walker Evans' photos. This one is from a book by Evans called American Photographs.

And you're right about all that stuff hanging off the building. I'm probably not going to add the same kind, or amount of clutter, to the front. Maybe put that stuff (a bunch of it came with the kit) out back in a junk pile.

--Rich

postalkarl

Hey Rich:

Nice looking brushes.

Karl

richbeau

The front wall was primed with Rust-oleum Gray Primer. Then using a piece of dry sponge I dabbed Oil Ochre MIG Jimenez Ammo Paint. It's really thin so the primer bleeds through. After the yellow dried I dabbed some Vallejo Gris Marina to create gray splotches.

The two side walls were primed with Rust-oleum Camouflage. Then they were painted using a mix of  Americana DecoArt Neutral Gray and Mississippi Mud. In some places I let the primer bleed through. The metal patches were painted with shades of gray. I hit the walls with some black paint heavily diluted with water to deepen the wood look. I'll need to hit these with a dry-brushing of light gray paint, and add some signs. Maybe add a bit of rust using pigment to the metal pieces and some rain stain.

The missing rear wall pieces arrived. I'll prime those (along with the base) over the weekend. I've got a bathroom vanity countertop I need to cut and install. So we'll see how far I get.

--Rich

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

richbeau

Thanks Curt!

----------------------------------------------

In between working on the 1/2 bath and this kit I managed to get the walls together.

First a full frontal...

Here's a three-quarter view...

The walls are glued together but they're just sitting on the base.

Here's the other three-quarter view...

I need to finish the office walls and put in some roof support. I'm not sure I want to finish the interior. Maybe I should make the roof removable. Then if I get the notion I could decorate the interior.

--Rich

fbernard65

Rich,

You are making great progress.  Looking awesome.

Frank

Dennis Bourey

Rich, I agree look's great and I love the color's.....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

fsmcollector67

Rich,
Nice job on the walls...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Lynnb

Color of the walls look great, signs really make it.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Opa George

I really like the patched-together-with-anything-and-everything look!  Nice job in making that feature stand out.
--George

richbeau

Quote from: fbernard65 on July 30, 2019, 10:18:10 PM
Rich, You are making great progress.  Looking awesome. Frank

Thanks Frank! Coming from you I know I've done pretty well

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 31, 2019, 07:09:46 AM
Rich, I agree look's great and I love the color's.....Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Getting the color right is often half the battle.

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on July 31, 2019, 02:57:40 PM
Rich, Nice job on the walls...Loren...

Thanks Loren. The details on this kit reminds me of some of your work.

Quote from: Lynnb on July 31, 2019, 04:15:56 PM
Color of the walls look great, signs really make it.

Thanks LynnB. Color choice is one of those tricky spots. Glad you like it.

Quote from: Opa George on July 31, 2019, 07:12:03 PM
I really like the patched-together-with-anything-and-everything look!  Nice job in making that feature stand out. --George

Thanks George. Layering the colors, deepening the shadows (A&I), dry brushing, and dusting with pigments (some folks use chalk) does really work wonders.

I will say that this particular resin kit is really well cast. It has a lot of detail. My copy had minimal resin casting imperfections. My only criticism (minor though), the walls are not easy to get square. Mainly due to the fact that the rear wall is three pieces. And maybe that just lends itself well to the worn aspect to the walls supporting the cool front wall. It's a really fun build. Many folks could probably put this together over a long weekend. It also would do quite well with some lighting and an interior for those so inclined.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.
--Rich

Zephyrus52246

Very nice work, love the coloring.

Jeff