Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

You will notice from the background of the pictures that I have spent some time getting my workspaces organized.  I have things setup so I will have have three main build areas and two smaller workbenches for subassemblies and small projects that come up. I'm sure I will be making a few changes as we go but so far I really like the new workspace.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 01, 2019, 07:26:03 PM
I really like the look of the stone work.

Curt

I agree, George did a great job with these stone walls. I will be coloring them with a variation of brown similar to what I did for the Foundry build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I did a test sample with the coloring technique I plan to use for the wood siding on Swakhammer's.  This is stained with Hunterline Yellow Cream and then a wash of A&I to make the grain and nail heads pop. I used one coat of stain on the top third of the sample, two coats in the middle, and three coats on the bottom. This building is going to be located in a yard with lots of steam locomotives running around it. The plan is to use different numbers of coats of the stain in different areas of the walls to help give it that weathered look.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also started gluing the bracing for the clapboard walls on the Fox Run Milling build. The rest of the day was spent preparing the detail castings for both builds.

John Siekirk

Jerry

John really like the coloring and the way the weathering is showing up.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on November 02, 2019, 08:53:37 AM
John really like the coloring and the way the weathering is showing up.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you - I will probably add a little chalk for texture on the model but this is the way I plan to go on this one.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

That cream colour is nice.

Cheers, Mark.

engine909

Yellow cream is very nice. I just used it on the John Allen Engine House O scale kit from Mt. Albert.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 02, 2019, 01:59:48 PM
Looking good, John.

That cream colour is nice.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  I have a dark brown picked out for the windows and doors that I think will look good with this yellow/cream.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: engine909 on November 02, 2019, 02:15:17 PM
Yellow cream is very nice. I just used it on the John Allen Engine House O scale kit from Mt. Albert.

I bet that really looks good. I'm really liking the way the Hunter Stains work so far.  Up until my big purchase of their products at the Narrow Gauge Convention I had only tried the driftwood and cement colors.  As with everything I do the stain is the base color the A&I brings out the details and then I usually hit it with some chalks as a finishing touch.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The wall bracing and corner moldings were added to the Fox Run wall sections today. I also prepared the detail castings for Swakhammer's - I have a few more to do in the morning and they will be ready for the paint booth.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The castings for Swakhammer's are ready for the paint booth. 

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

The FSM NBW castings always looked too large to me.  On my Jacobs Coal, I used Tichy castings instead. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to