Stripwood storage and organization

Started by stan.b.shields, May 30, 2017, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan.b.shields

So...How do you deal with storing strip wood? I have for years thumbtacked the bags to a bulletin board so I could read the sizes and slip pieces out vertically but it occurred to me that I may be an idiot and there's a better way...anybody?

I'm about to change scales, after working in HO forever, and build an 0n30 layout. I need to buy a large assortment of O scale strip wood and looking for a way to organize it so I find what I'm looking for quickly.
Stan

Dave K.

I just re-did my stripwood and detail parts organization a few weeks ago. Nothing fancy. Ended up using two of these Plano cases from the hardware store.

stan.b.shields

Thanks Dave-so those boxes are 24" long?

JusticeCity

I use mailing tubes and potato chip tubes for all my 24" stripwood. I tape them together in rows and put them at the back on the workbench. I mark sizes in 1000ths and use the sizes that fit the scale.

rpdylan

yeah, I got a bunch of those bins from Harbor Freight years ago, they work great as I can organize them by size, pre stained and ready to grab for projects,,,,, I use the bins also for castings storage, using the dividers. I organize the castings by theme: roof , waterfront, loading dock, ect.
Bob C.

Dave K.

Zephyrus52246

I use those trays to house my scale figures.  I found two more of them while cleaning last week.  Now I know what I'll use them for.  Thanks, Dave!

Jeff

S&S RR

Stan

I use the cardboard tubes that flex track is shipped in to store my strip wood.  I have two racks that I made for them.  One is 24 inches long, and the other is 12 inches long.  Very complex and expensive - I just glued the tubes in neat rows into a cardboard box and labeled each tube with the sizes. I have the dimensions labeled in both 1:1 inches and HO 1:87 inches. I will try to remember to post a picture when I get back to the workbench.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

I'm old enough to remember when computers came with manuals, and those manuals were enclosed in nice sturdy slipcover boxes...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on May 31, 2017, 09:33:35 AM
I'm old enough to remember when computers came with manuals, and those manuals were enclosed in nice sturdy slipcover boxes...

dave

Dang, you are old!   :D  :D  :D 

I remember when computers, and software, came with manuals too!   :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 31, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: deemery on May 31, 2017, 09:33:35 AM

dave

Dang, you are old!   :D :D :D 

I remember when computers, and software, came with manuals too!   :o
I bought my first personal computer in Oct '78.   

I also keep a 'scraps bin' in a slide-out drawer underneath my work table.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

stan.b.shields

love to see a picture.

I use the cardboard tubes that flex track is shipped in to store my strip wood.  I have two racks that I made for them.  One is 24 inches long, and the other is 12 inches long.  Very complex and expensive - I just glued the tubes in neat rows into a cardboard box and labeled each tube with the sizes. I have the dimensions labeled in both 1:1 inches and HO 1:87 inches. I will try to remember to post a picture when I get back to the workbench.
[/quote]

Random

I use mailing tubes taped together for longer strip wood and parts. 

For the smaller more fragile strip wood I use an Ikea ALEX cabinet with wide shallow drawers.  This is also nice for tools.

Here is a link to the cabinet:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

bparrish

Gents...

I don't keep a large supply around as I make up stuff as I need it or go to town and find just what I need.

I do keep some standing in a few pieces of ABS black plumbing pipe that are tied together with duct tape.  I stuff in in the closet when not in use.

I have a tube for one inch thick dimensional stuff and another for 2x dimensional lumber.  I don't sort it any smaller than that.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?