how to do raised seam and corregated metal roofing.

Started by hairball, December 13, 2019, 08:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

Because I do metal roofing using BUILDERS IN SCALE  a lot in my structures, because it just looks great and is easy to do.

I use the 12 scale foot wide *corregated* and the 12 scale foot *raised seam*.  The COPPER raised seam only comes scale 8 foot.

Pictures are showing a large batch of mixed metal . Besides the BIS roofing materials you should really only need to purchase the ETCHING SOLUTION.   That is MG CHEMICALS #415-1L made in Canada.  The product is FERRIC CHLORIDE   www.mgchemicals.com .   This is for cleaning etching primered circuit boards.

You will need a large size plastic margarine container to have full of clean water.
You will need another or low glass saucer baking dish about 2" high on sides.
Appears from picture that I used a pyrex glass large measuring cup.
You will need a roll of BLUE paper towels.  No pattern. That do not fall apart when dipped in water.
you will need tweezers or needle nose pliars.
You will need 2 ....24 inch sq sheets of plywood.

Lets start.....
A---shake the chemical enough to stir it up and do a 3/4---1" deep pouring.
B---using the pliars dip the metal strip half way into the chemical.
C---it will begin fizzing, start slowly drawing the half sheet out letting the fizzing run down the sheet.
D---immediately dunk the etched end into the water and slowly remove
E---swap ends and dip un-dipped end into chemical and draw out like first one.
F---dip the new end into the water and put to the side.
G---do as many sheets as you need.

H---take the etched sheets and place them on the water soaked blue paper towel.
I---take a fresh paper towel , soak in water and place over the etched metal.
J---take a plywood sheet and place that on top of wet towel, add bricks or weight so towel makes contact.
K---leave the whole setup in a dry WARM place so the materials dry naturelly..
L--- use very sharp scissors to cut the sheets of corrugated into 3 scale foot wide pieces.

Depending on how fast or slow you were on withdrawing sheets, you could have parts where it was not etched , or etched too much and have holes, just trim those out with scissors.
I use WELDBOND white glue to apply the sheet parts to the roof.
I use the raised seam to cover a roof or top off the corrugated.

DO NOT spray dull coat onto the material.  There is no need for Bragdons or any pigment including dr BENDOVER stuff.  If you follow instructions you can easily produce the same quality and get these outstanding rusty roofs.

I have seen metal corrugated roofs fully rusted like I am showing, I have also seen where the silver finish has rust around the edges.  Both realistic .......THE CHOICE for your model is up to you.

WARNING........spill or drip this stuff and whatever it gets onto is orange and not coming out. Pour the used material into a plastic or glass bottle that seals .
Work the materials at arms length, its an acid so KEEP YOUR HEAD BACK.  You can smell this stuff for days .  Also if doing this in basement make sure you have an exhaust fan to remove the smell it creates.

mike lynch..........MADMIKE3434 ............HAIRBALL

hairball

second set of pictures

mike lynch

Janbouli

Thanks a heep , always good to see another method or repeat one , especially when it looks fantastic.
I love photo's, don't we all.

jerryrbeach

Mike,

Very thorough and well documented tutorial.  Thanks for posting it.
Jerry

Oldguy

Those look great.  Although, better you than me dealing with the chemicals.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

hairball

Interesting......people say to me , how did you learn how to do that......whatever it is.

EXPERIMENT.  EXPRIMENT   EXPERIMENT

There was no tutorial on it other than a mention at one time of using radio shacks ARCHER ETCHANT, no longer available which is why I use MG chemicals.  I smoked up a bunch of corrugated too nothingness but kept at it.  Paper towel regular with embossed pattern left calico cat markings until the switch to the blue non embossed type.  Again experimentation and not being happy with the status quo or the results.

I have done a lot of experimentation and modification techniques for improvements.  Plus I tell people here what I have done and how , because I think by the banner that's what this site is supposed to be all about.   Licking and sticking Campbell paper roofing shingles is not my idea of a good technique.

Try cutting barn length 24" scale  O real wood veneer shingles and applying hundreds of them one at a time.  Might take 2-3 weeks on decent size roof.   Picture coming soon of the JOHN ALLEN cross junction station.

mike...........HAIRBALL