FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 09, 2019, 06:00:05 PM
Tom,

As usual, I love your build threads.  I always pick up a tip or two by following along.  I have always used an emery board to remove any excess glue that squeezed out from wall bracing.  Not sure why I never thought to use a large sheet of sandpaper, that definitely looks easier.  From now on...

I thought I'd add my two cents to Mark's comments about floor levels.  I have been inside a great many older commercial and industrial buildings in the northeast.  A great many have raised wood floors (dock level), something that is pretty apparent in the building in this thread.  After the first floor, lots of factors play into the height of higher floors, especially in a wood frame structure.  What I am trying to say is that even though you did not explain why you chose the window heights, when I looked at the locations it was apparent to me they made perfect sense height-wise.

Jerry,

Thank you for the kind compliment. I've used the Emery board in the past but several years ago I started using a small sheet of 160 grit sandpaper. It's much easier to sand using it than trying to hold down an Emery board.

As you can see I have the second floor windows lower to the floor than the first floor windows. I did this so the second floor door fit better with the floor plan.

Thanks for checking in.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 10, 2019, 07:07:21 AM
This build is coming along great!  Well documented too.   :)

Bob,

Thank you, much appreciate the kind words.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Although I have several dozen paint brushes, I've found over the years I tend to use only these seven brushes.

I chose to color the walls with Floquil Earth. I dipped the larger brush into the paint and then into a jar of fresh/clean thinner and spread it on the walls. While the paint was still damp, I added a few brush strokes of clean thinner over random areas.

The walls will get a light coat of Hunterline Light gray when the paint is cured.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I decided on Reefer White for the doors and windows. I'll also use the white on the stairs.

I used Polly Scale Reefer White and painted the doors and windows. I wasn't particular about the coverage as I wanted some of the gray to show through. When the white was dry, I dipped the doors and windows into Hunterline Light Gray and set aside to dry. I then dipped them again this time in Hunterline Medium Brown.

I'll add Canopy Glue for the window glass.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The two larger windows in the next photo are left over from another build. I did my best to match the color with the smaller window.

I still need to added A&I light gray to the walls prior to assembly.

Notice anything missing?
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PaulS

looks very nice so far Tom, as usual.   As far as what is missing.....   I'll take nail holes for $200 ...
Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing this come together   
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

dick green

Tom
Super job on the windows. What's the difference between Hunterline and A&I?
Dcik
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

ACL1504

Quote from: PaulS on September 10, 2019, 07:14:51 PM
looks very nice so far Tom, as usual.   As far as what is missing.....   I'll take nail holes for $200 ...
Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing this come together   
--Paul

Paul,

Good to see you and thank you very much. And yes, nail holes. You are the winner. I haven't decided if I want to do them or not. They make the structure look better but they are definitely not prototypical.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: dick green on September 10, 2019, 11:52:16 PM
Tom
Super job on the windows. What's the difference between Hunterline and A&I?
Dcik

Dick,

Thank you, appreciate the support.

There is no difference in the A&I and Hunterline. I keep mentioning Hunterline as they are great to work with and order from and they are forum supporters.  They also attended the Expos when we had them.

Huterline has a huge selection of different colored A&I's.

https://hunterline.com/t/weathering-mix

Hope this helps.

Tom   ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com