F&SM G. Brill Co Scratchbuild

Started by SteveCuster, January 28, 2019, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Hello everyone.

I needed a little structure that would sit on a hill for my layout and I've always been a fan of the old G.Brill Co that used to be on the F&SM. I decided to scratchbuild my own version of it. This building is no longer on the F&SM. I'm going to stick pretty close to the original.

This is the original model from George's layout.

I made a rough drawing using some graph paper. I figured out the height and width by counting the clapboards and measuring a FSM window casting.

The clapboard sheets I'm using I bought directly from George. I figured they are probably pretty close to the ones he used for this.

I started cutting out the walls.

The back wall will have no windows and details and won't be visible once it's installed on the layout. I cut out the back wall by tracing the front with an exacto knife.

I usually cut my windows and doors out from the front. I change my blade after every couple windows.

I wanted the windows to be pretty similar to George's but I didn't have anything that was close on hand. These are Tichy windows I modified to match George's.

I stained all the walls with a basecoat of A&I.

I washed the walls in mineral spirits and painted them using Americana Deep Burgundy craft paint.

As the paint just started to dry I used a piece of tape to pull some of it up. I also scratched some of the paint off with a wire brush and my X-acto knife. The red can be a little challenging if you rough it up too much with the wire brush it starts to look pink.

The windows are all Tichy and the freight door is laser cut wood from Master Creations.

I added some nail holes to this one. I thought it added some character to the beat up siding and George's has nail holes of course.

I added the trim. The trim and windows are painted Apple Barrel Khaki.

Thanks for checking in. Hopefully I can make some more progress on this later tonight.

-Steve

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking great so far. I scratch built that years ago and still have it. Want me to post A pic of it. 
Karl

ACL1504

Steve,

I'll be following along, this is one of my favorites on George's layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Looks good so far and I'll be following
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Steve

Great project - I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bobby

Hey Steve,

You have been killin' it on the builds lately!! No doubt this will be cool.  Looking forward to this....

Cheers...
Bobby - THE Goat!

Dave K.

Great way to revive an old piece of the F&SM. Eagerly following...

ReadingBob

Add me to the long list of followers!  Great start on a really neat little structure Steve.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

NKP768

Great start Steve - looking good.

Doug

GPdemayo

Nice structure Steve.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hi Appl:

Talks to Steve yesterday and he gave me permission to post photos of my scratch build of this structure I build many years ago.
Here's the pics. If you see any details you need let me know OK

Karl 

Janbouli

Ah , Mr Mooney had an affiliate , looks great Karl
I love photo's, don't we all.

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you're all following along.

Great job Karl. You really did a great job with that one.

Moving forward yesterday I got the walls glued together and the main sign put up. I also started working on the concrete base.

This is my update version of the sign. I tried to copy George's sign but it just didn't look right so I went my own direction with this one.

I weathered the sign with chalks, sanded it and glued it up. I did not use any A&I on it just Rembrandt 408.3 chalks.

George had a large block wall for the base. I decided to attempt a poured concrete one for my model. I build the form using balsa wood. I glued to wood to a piece of mirror but glass wouldve done fine as well. Anything flat. I didn't glue the walls together because I wanted it to be easy to pull apart.

I used painters tape to keep the form together. I poured thick plaster of paris into the form.

I started to pull it apart while the walls were just curing but not completely set. I could press hard into the top and leave a fingerprint but it wasn't so wet it fell apart. I did this so it would leave some texture on the walls and maybe a couple crumbly spots.

At this point I let it sit for a few hours. If I handled it once I pulled the mold apart it would leave some fingerprints.

I carved some cracks and things into the casting with a dull pocket knife. I also sprayed it with some gray primer from Walmart. Obviously I haven't done any weathering to the base yet. The concrete casting will be partially set into a hill on the layout so some of it will be hidden. I shingled the roof but I'm trying something new for me with the coloring so I'll post pictures later of it. I'm not sure how I like it yet. I added the small vent casting on the wall. I didn't have a matching FSM casting so this one is from SierraWest. For anything that sticks directly to a wall on a horizontal surface I prefer resin castings. I sprayed it with dark gray primer, drybrushed it with silver color paint and dusted with some chalks.

Thanks for checking in. I'll be working on the roof and weathering the concrete base today. Then it's on to the porch area.

-Steve
Steve Custer

Dave K.

What program did you use to create the sign?