Ethical Scratcbuilding

Started by rubbergauge, November 12, 2018, 02:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubbergauge

So thanks to Tom Langford I now have a set of plans. I was having trouble finding a copy machine large enough for these plans and stumbled upon a home center in the next town that worked with Architects and had a machine that could produce full size building drawings. I had them make up a regular copy and also blow them up 181% to O scale. I was very surprised to see just how large this structure is in O.

I was trying insert a picture here to show the difference in size but the insert image tool isn't working for me?

So now to make a list of the stripwood I'll need and get it on order. Having never done anything like this I'm going to have to figure out where to get it  Kappler, Northeast, Micromark, we will see. To be continued.

ACL1504

Joe,

My pleasure in helping out with the plans.

Although Walthers sells Northeastern Scale Lumber, you are better off calling Northeastern directly as you will get a better deal. I use NESL for all my scratch builds.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Roostr

rubbergauge, don' forget about Mt Albert Scale wood for your lumber supply , they also are a sponsor for the Expo.           
Good luck with your build, will follow along.
roostr

bparrish

Kinko copy will do oversized copies but they are pretty careful about copyrights. If the marking is old enough they will probably run it.

They are pretty proud of color copies but b&w is acceptable fotr your needs.

Hope this helps.

See ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

rubbergauge

As I've been reading various threads on this forum I came across a mention of a Troels Kirk DVD "Realistic Color for Model Railroads". I'd really like to get my hands on one as I'm very interested in his techniques of weathering printed card stock texture structures.

I've searched the web and it looks like it's no longer available. Does anyone have a copy they have watched 100 times and would consider selling it to me?

thanks,
Joe

By the way Merry Christmas!

rubbergauge

So if anyone is wondering why there hasn't been any progress on this Coal Bunker project  I am out of commission having had a full shoulder replacement on Jan 3rd so there will be no modeling for some time. By the way it is quite difficult trying to type Caps with one hand. I've ordered O'Neils Fabrication as I think building it will help me learn to scratch build. Can't wait to recover enough to start it. Never had one of Bret's kits so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I can't drive but I'm going to try and get out to the Big E next weekend and spend some money. So if you see a guy with his arm in a sling, please don't bump into me it hurts.

Joe

Janbouli

May you have a speedy recovery Joe .
I love photo's, don't we all.

deemery

Joe, good luck with the shoulder.  I had rotator cuff surgery a couple years ago, that was a -long- recovery. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to