Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on November 04, 2019, 11:21:53 AM
The FSM NBW castings always looked too large to me.  On my Jacobs Coal, I used Tichy castings instead. 

dave

Dave

This kit comes with both the Tichy plastic windows and the metal casting for the stone part of the building. If you look at the metal widows I have done a little file work which takes care of any issues.  The big problem George had with the metal windows is keeping them in shape during the shipping process. Some of these kits have a lot of shipping miles on them before they get built. I spend some time doing the straightening before I paint them.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

engine909

John, Always a pleasure following along. I also complimented the yellow with dark brown on the Engine house. Looks very nice together. The brown I used was FolkArt Painted Barnwood Effect, thinned a bit, than wiped on and off.
ed

FandSM Engineer

Quote from: engine909 on November 05, 2019, 03:24:14 PM
John, Always a pleasure following along. I also complimented the yellow with dark brown on the Engine house. Looks very nice together. The brown I used was FolkArt Painted Barnwood Effect, thinned a bit, than wiped on and off.
ed

Ed

I'm using a ultra flat camo-brown shaker can for the window and door castings.

S&S RR

Quote from: FandSM Engineer on November 05, 2019, 04:28:28 PM
Quote from: engine909 on November 05, 2019, 03:24:14 PM
ed

Ed

I'm using a ultra flat camo-brown shaker can for the window and door castings.

Sorry for any confusion on the login.  I created another login for the F&SM posts and sometimes I forget which one I'm using when I post on my build thread.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Lots of activity in the paint booth today. I may just get the castings for the next couple of builds prepped and do all the detail casting at once. So far, I got as far as cleaning off my detail bench. ;)  Next up, for the paint booth, is the wall castings for Shakhammer's.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I spent most of the day today painting the detail castings for Swakhammer's.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also made considerable progress on the Fox Run build.  The main walls have been completed and are ready for assembly.  I used driftwood stain from Hunterline for the walls. I wanted this structure to have the weathered after the war time frame coloring, but I did not pop the siding off to make it look completely run down.  This is the working part of the layout is the revenue producing area so I'm interested in a series of builds that are not as run down as the prototypes for these kits.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In this picture the walls have the window and door castings added and are ready for assembly.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also got the castings out for the coaling tower and G. Wilikers which will be the next two kits that I plan to build. I like painting the castings in big batches so I can clear off the detailing bench for doing the final detailing on each build. I store the castings in the plastic trays that you seen in the picture above.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I really like the look of your Fox Run walls.  They look neglected, but also show a building that is still generating sufficient income to survive if not prosper.  Nice job getting the door and window castings to reflect the state of the clapboards.  I'll be following along on this group of builds. 
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 09, 2019, 11:41:46 AM
John,

I really like the look of your Fox Run walls.  They look neglected, but also show a building that is still generating sufficient income to survive if not prosper.  Nice job getting the door and window castings to reflect the state of the clapboards.  I'll be following along on this group of builds.

Jerry

Thank you for following along and your comments.  As I said above, the look you describe is what I'm after and comments coming from a man that knows when it's time to paint the barn are greatly appreciated.
John Siekirk

Jerry

John I love your weathering a used building just in deed of a paint job.

Not falling down with boards missing and the roof leaking I'm sorry guys but business just were not kept that way if they were in business.

Question is that a paper towel under ythe parts that you stained??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln