Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I made some more progress on the Superior Yard today.  The cork roadbed is complete for the North End of the Yard.  The track placement and turnout placement decisions are made so I can update my CAD design and printout the pictures for the control panel. The track gluing procedure is going faster as I add paint cans, water bottles, and assorted other items to weight it down while the glue dries.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Check with a granite countertop company, ask them for samples from discontinued/out of stock granite slabs.  They make great weights.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on June 15, 2019, 08:27:28 PM
Check with a granite countertop company, ask them for samples from discontinued/out of stock granite slabs.  They make great weights.

dave

Dave

Yes, the small pieces of granite do make excellent weights.  I have a couple of them from one of my building projects. If you slide this picture over to the right you will see one of them in use. I may just stop and see if I can get some more.  While I was typing this I thought of something else that's going to get a test.  I have a couple boxes of ceramic tiles left over from the bathroom remodeling.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I will be taking a few days this week to get the workshop back in order after the changes for the expansion.  I have a casting project that needs to be done so all the workbenches need to be cleaned, including building a new workbench and some shelving for the area cleared out by moving the reversing loop into the expansion area. The plan is to glue down as much track as I have weight for first thing in the morning and then moving into the workshop project and casting project while the glue dries.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

sounds like you are having lots of fun.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 17, 2019, 03:36:13 PM
Hey John:

sounds like you are having lots of fun.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for stopping by - yes, I'm having lots of fun.
John Siekirk

MAP

That sure is a lot of cork & track you've got there John!  Coming along nicely.
Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on June 18, 2019, 06:44:14 AM
That sure is a lot of cork & track you've got there John!  Coming along nicely.

Mark

Thanks for stopping by - yes it is a lot of cork and track, I can't wait to see it full of locomotives and rolling stock.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I completed the junction panel for the track power, as far as I could take it on the workbench. I need the bench space for a casting project. The switches will be mounted on the main control panel and allow for on off control for each power block. All of the power leads to each block of track will be connected to this panel underneath the layout. I wired all five of the control panels this same way, which as discussed before, gives me the ability to power each block of track separately, which makes finding a short much easier. It also allows for turning off a section of track loaded with locomotives for system startup, and when the noise of every locomotive on the layout sounding off all at once.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I glued down the last section of track for the North end of the yard.  Next up is the curves into the South Yard.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I did a count this afternoon and it's going to be close on having enough sections of track to complete this job.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is the view of the North Yard from the other side of the room. My goal is to get the track all down for this Phase of the layout this weekend.  I want to be able to concentrate on getting power to the track next week.

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Wow, that is going to be a great yard, What am I saying, it is a great looking yard.

Well done my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

You're doing really nice work and the yard will be huge.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Between yard work and yard work there can't be much time left in the day!

Looking very impressive, John.

Cheers, Mark.