Started by postalkarl, November 12, 2018, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

Here's the next kit on my list.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

Here's A photo of the parts for the main building.

Karl

deemery

This is the one FSM kit I've built, and I really enjoyed it.  You'll need at least 4' to build the ramp from grade to the end of the coal dock, which is why you don't see this one very often on actual layouts.

A couple thoughts:  The original design was an Irv Schulz model of an ore transfer dock, rather than a locomotive coaling dock. So that's why there are both the main chutes, and that side coal jib crane.  Now on my model, I repurposed that jib crane for sanding the locos, but I never really figured out the entire sand process (from the delivery of wet sand, through drying, and then loading into the loco.)  My concept was that a sand car would be positioned above the closed-in section of the trestle to unload sand into a hopper inside.  There'd be a stove in there for drying the sand.  Then workers would go inside to shovel sand into a bucket, then use the jib crane to raise the bucket to the sand dome.  This required adding a door in that closed-off section of trestle.  (It also requires "winking at" the huge fire risk with a stove inside the structure.  One spark and the entire coal dock would make a huge blaze!)  Also, I removed the section from the jib crane to the actual dock, to reduce some of the (level) length of the kit.  I made the roof removable (using pieces of brass rod, a trick from Dave Frary/Bob Hayden.)  The chute counter-weights are a bit fragile and hard to attach, and then to attach the weights on cable/chain to the dock was another challenge.  The hardest thing for me, surprisingly, was getting those wedge shaped concrete footings under the trestle bents.  They're heavy, so gluing them to the trestle legs doesn't work very well.  Gluing them to the base requires a precise or adjustable fit to make sure the bottom of the bents actually sit on the footings.  Finally, for finishing, I used "Weather-It" on all of the wood, and then added lots of "coal dust" weathering, plus sand underneath the jib crane. 

I'll dig out some photos and add them, if you're interested.  For now, this kit is boxed up after our move a couple years ago.  The hoppers face the wrong direction for my current engine terminal design, and I'm not sure if I'll dig this out and kitbash it, or build some new coaling structure.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Another interesting kit Karl.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jimmillho

I will always follow a "Karl Build"

Jim

Opa George

I'm following, too, Karl.
--George

Lynnb

I'm looking forward to following your build Karl , I was kinda figuring you were about do.  :)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Thanks for all the great info on what you did with the kit. What color did you paint the coal doors on the front wall? Looks like Earth to me. Am I right.

Thanks Karl

postalkarl

Hi Greg, Curt, Jim, George & Lynn B:

Thanks for checking in and following along.

Karl.

postalkarl

Hi All:

Got the first side of the front wall don on the template. Now I have to turn it over and add the other required pieces.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Karl I have been interested in this kit for awhile. Can you tell me what the height oh the track is at the end of it?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Quote from: postalkarl on November 13, 2018, 10:16:32 AM
Hey Dave:

Thanks for all the great info on what you did with the kit. What color did you paint the coal doors on the front wall? Looks like Earth to me. Am I right.

Thanks Karl
I think that's right (I built this a long time ago :-) )  It might be "Foundation" - it looks a little lighter colored than "Earth."  Obviously, my goal was to get close to the A-West coloring of the stripwood.  I painted the bands an appropriate 'weathered metal' color, and the contrast helps the overall look of the doors.  Then I probably applied an A&I wash to the pieces sitting on the workbench, before I installed them on the model. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

Nice build Dave.

Karl your off to a fine start.  As usual your coloring is right on.  I'll be watching as your work keeps me modeling!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hi Dave:

Thanks much appreciated. I have both colors. Earth & Foundation.

Karl