Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Jim

The scenes are really looking nice - love the details and the story behind them.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Dave K.

jrmueller

Jin - Thanks for the information on the micro static grass applicator. I have ordered one for an early Christmas present.  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

Jim,

Great looking scene.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

Well it has been two years since I started modeling as I write this and almost almost nine months since my last post detailing the layouts progress. It just seems like a couple of days ago in some ways and a lifetime in other. I would never believed the world would change so much in so short a time. The scary part is I am afraid we are just in the beginnings of this chaotic change, not even close to the end.

I can do little about the world picture but I have been modeling and working on the northern layout even while we have had to stay in Florida for longer then we wanted. We finally head north this week and I hope to show some great progress in short order. I am taking all the various parts and pieces built while here to 'plant' them in Mandryville.

First up will be Azzie's Apple Orchard. Our youngest granddaughter (Azzie) had me promise to make her a building on the layout. She loves going to McQueens Orchard in Ohio so it was an easy decision what business she would be famous for in 1910. There will be a story of course to go with the scene, while I can't spill all the beans I do know that when she marries in this alternate universe her last name changes to Mott.

Azzie Apple's started life as a kit from Railroads.com called Penynn Fruits. I replaced the Tichy barn doors and upper windows with scratch built, made from scale lumber and real glass. Also scratch built was the roof vent. The roof itself was changed from a tar paper to cedar shake from BEST. Rafter tails were added under the eves. The front doors and upper window are shadow boxed and a LED backlight installed for even viewing. The foundation is textured brick paper. Some of the signs need to be redone but I will wait till we are up north. I used the Inkscape program to modify old signs found on line.

When completed on the layout the barn will be a processing plant for hard cider (what else!). As part of the operation I made a typical 1910 steam operated conveyor which will lift the apples up to the second floor where the cider press will process them. I have a donkey engine painted and ready to go, just need to see how to fit it all together. The conveyor was designed using the open source Inkscape program. The resulting SVG files were then sent to a Cameo 3 print/ cutter I have that cut the needed parts out of .4mm styrene. The styrene was bought at Big Lots and started life as 10 x 12 No Parking signs. Costing $.99 each they are a lot less then buying modeling styrene and as far as I could tell worked just fine. The gears and wheels were cut out of vellum paper and card stock. The drive chain is not the correct type but it is what I had so artistic license was invoked.

So that is tonight's update. Hope you like the progress.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

ReadingBob

Really nice job on Azzie's Apple Orchard Jim!  Very impressive upgrade from the original kit (which is nice in as well). 

At least we have our wonderful hobby and our own little miniature worlds to lose ourselves in while the outside world seems to be going to heck in a handbasket.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Very nice Jim and I'm sure Azzie will love it.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

You model looks just great.

Karl

jerryrbeach

Jim,

Your changes made this building look "rural", as well as helping it fit into your era.  Great job.  I really like the conveyor.  Clever idea and nice execution.  I'm looking forward to seeing it powered with the donkey engine.  One question:  How did you build the "see thru" clerestory sides?  It really caught my eye. 
Jerry

Jim Donovan

Thanks guys glad you think it came out fine.

What I love (hate) is what the camera tells you. For me it told me I need to work on my sign application, go back to real brick for the foundation and lighten up on the weathering. Still from 3 feet away it looks fine so I think I just might get a hug from my granddaughter.

::)

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Hi Jerry;

Thanks for checking in and the compliment. The conveyor was fun since it was all scratch built but I doubt I'd make another, really tiny parts. I think I have over 40 hours in it, designing it took more time then putting it together. In the old time pictures I saw no two looked alike so I just designed it the way I'd expect a chain driven belt would operate.

The vented clerestory sides (had to look that up, you got me on that one) are cut to shape from Tichy plastic grates. I have brass mesh screen I was going to use but saw the Tichy grates and thought the tighter vent look would fit even better.The ends were printed out .4mm styrene from that NO PARKING sign I mentioned. The corrugated roof is some KC paper corrugated I had left over.

I hope to have the scene 'up and running' in a couple of weeks.

Jim D

jerryrbeach

Jim,

Thank you!  Tichy grates.  Inspired idea.  I'll have to get some next time I send a Tichy order. 

I did not realize it took so long to build the conveyor.  FWIW, Walthers has an old time coal conveyor you might find useful. 

https://www.walthers.com/old-time-coal-conveyor-kit-pkg-3
Jerry

Jim Donovan

OK Jerry rub it in! I found a pack of three up here in Ohio when I got here, guess I forgot :o!