Baxter's Final Photos:

Started by postalkarl, January 04, 2018, 04:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

My family was from Ambler from my Great Grandfather to my parents. I was there till I joined the Army. Then lived in Upper Dublin With my wife very close to Ambler and work in the Post Office in Ambler & Maple Glen for 33 years.

Todd W.

What an incredibly well done diorama build Karl!
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

postalkarl

Hi Todd:

Thanks buddy appreciate the compliment.

Karl

BandOGuy

Not to brag, but Ambler is named in honor of Katherine Ambler.
Don't recall the year, but there was a train wreck near what is now Ambler. Katherine opened her home to rescuers and survivors and contributed to saving many lives after the wreck. The town was named in her honor for her generosity and efforts for others.
Katherine Ambler is a distant relative of mine on my fathers side of our family tree.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

vinceg

Karl and BandOGuy, thanks for the stories. Small world indeed. I actually visited Ambler again a few weeks ago when I went out to help out my aunts whose health has been fading. I spent an evening there driving around, looking for old landmarks, visiting what used to be Wright's corner store to buy a package of Tastykake cupcakes, looking for, but not finding many of the old stores I remember, and of course, sitting at what is now a Septa station watching a few trains go by. Not MP54s anymore (how would that be for a Twilight Zone episode - especially if my mom "came back"?) but a nostalgic visit nonetheless.

If the Franklin Institute still had the model railroad, I would have tried to visit there, too. (that's downtown Philly, of course, not Ambler.) Still need to go sometime....
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

postalkarl

Hi BandOGuy:

My family started living in Ambler Pa from My Great Grandfather On. Ambler Was named after Mary Johnson Ambler. The Train Wreck was on July 17th 1856. She used her house at the corner of Tennis Ave And Mainstreet as A hospital. In 1869 the railroad renamed the station Ambler. The Post Office followed suit. The Borough was formally incorporated on June 16th 1888. It too took the name of Ambler in honor of Mary Johnson Ambler. I have included A photo of mary Ambler.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

Thanks for the great story. I do the same thing every now and again. Don't remember Wrights Corner Store. Where was it. Let me know as I'm very interest in Ambler history. There is another Ambler in The USA. It is in Alaska.

Karl

BandOGuy

Quote from: postalkarl on July 19, 2018, 09:51:03 AM
Hi BandOGuy:

My family started living in Ambler Pa from My Great Grandfather On. Ambler Was named after Mary Johnson Ambler. The Train Wreck was on July 17th 1856. She used her house at the corner of Tennis Ave And Mainstreet as A hospital. In 1869 the railroad renamed the station Ambler. The Post Office followed suit. The Borough was formally incorporated on June 16th 1888. It too took the name of Ambler in honor of Mary Johnson Ambler. I have included A photo of mary Ambler.
Karl

Had to do most of the story off the top of my aged head last night.
Guess too many days "down shore" have softened a few brain cells. Family link remains despite messing up name.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

vinceg

Quote from: postalkarl on July 19, 2018, 09:53:41 AM
Hey Vince:

Thanks for the great story. I do the same thing every now and again. Don't remember Wrights Corner Store. Where was it. Let me know as I'm very interest in Ambler history. There is another Ambler in The USA. It is in Alaska.

Karl

401 Bannockburn Ave. The northeast corner of Bannockburn and Church st. It's now called J&R Market. I talked to the guy there when I visited. Apparently his dad actually bought the place from the Wrights back in the 70s. The place looked and smelled largely the same other than moving the door from the north side to the south side. The original convenience store before convenience stores were a Thing. Should have bought some baseball cards and wax lips to complete the experience when I was there but I didn't think of it. Tastykakes were fun, tho. I will have to go to Philly from time to time anyway so I will get more chances.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

deemery

Quote from: postalkarl on July 19, 2018, 09:51:03 AM
Hi BandOGuy:

Karl

And here I thought it was named after people who dared Amble when they were sup[size=78%]posed to be doing their job[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]dave[/size]
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey BandOGuy:

I know what you mean when you say the brain don't work. However, I'm very interested in know how you were related and some of its history.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

Ok I know where it is now. Used to go there as a kid. My dentist is still up the street from there. I was in there a couple of week ago. Yep still kinda looks the same.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Gotcha buddy.

Karl