FOS Hill - Large Dio or Begin of a layout

Started by EricQuebec, December 31, 2017, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricQuebec

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 01, 2018, 07:44:02 AM
Great work, Eric.  I really like the gas station, and your stucco technique.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff for your compliments.
Eric

GPdemayo

Nice plan and great start Eric.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

EricQuebec

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 01, 2018, 09:15:23 AM
Nice plan and great start Eric.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Thank you Gregory for your comment.

Eric

Blazeman

EricQuebec

EricQuebec

Hello all, after almost a month, time to update this story.
A large part of my effort was dedicated to complete the Sam Grath & Sal Pyke tailor shop.
For the more visible side wall of this building I wanted a large ad on the wall. My choice was for an ad for Gold Medal Flour. I've found a good picture on google, and rework it withCorel Draw to fit my wall. Essentially the work was to ad green color on top and move the slogan «Why not now ?»  The I've print and cut the ad.

Then I've applied the ad on the clapboard siding after have sanded the paper. To glue it in place, I've make a mux of 50% wet water ( for remember, the wet  water is a mix of water and alcool... thanks Mr. Frary) and 50 % white glue. once the ad well applied in place, I've cut the window opening. and heavily dry brush it with vintage white to fade the color.
The I've build the two other wall needed for this building. A part a the side wall is just a piece a 1/16 basswood sheet. The part will be glue against the Callahan building later.

And finally glue all the wall together.

EricQuebec

FInally I've do the roof that was cover with my Home made roled roofing. I use a technic learn on the DOug Foscale Blogspot.
and add a small access hatch.

The next step was to build the little structure called « bandit Roost bar» the wall is made board on board , will heavily weathered strip wood. The sign is made with my first attempt to make dry transfer with wax paper. I will explain this technic later ( read in several week or month) when I will perfectly master this technic. For a first try it's not so bad, but it's not so good too.

Finally here's an overview of this side of the street at this moment.
For continue I've begin the small corrugated metal cover building that fit between the two part of Burdick oyster that will take place on the other side of the street.
It's a trapezoidal building. I used paper corrugated metal to cover the wall. I foud that this material is more easy to work than real sheet of scale corrugated metal. No shiny flash, easy to glue etc.

EricQuebec

No real difficulty was encounter during the assembly of this building. The roof will be cover with gravel once the second building will be build.
Here's an overview with the first part of Burdick Oyster  building.

That's all for the news on this project.
At this moment I still working on  the draw of the second part of Burdick Oyster.

That's all for today,
As usual, feel free to comment, asking or so.
To be continued
Eric

vinceg

Eric, you are a tremendously talented modeler. Your work is fantastic. I am thoroughly enjoying following along as you build.

I don't know if you're keeping track, but it would be interesting to know at the end of the project how much the total cost was compared to buying a kit. It won't change my behavior (buying kits), but it would still be interesting to know.

Cheers,

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

engine909

Eric, Your skills are remarkable. Great textures. The sequence of buildings looks very natural.
Vince, Most people scratch build not to save money. In the end it usually takes much more time. So if time is money to you, scratch building is more costly.
ed

EricQuebec

Quote from: vinceg on January 28, 2018, 02:55:01 PM
Eric, you are a tremendously talented modeler. Your work is fantastic. I am thoroughly enjoying following along as you build.

I don't know if you're keeping track, but it would be interesting to know at the end of the project how much the total cost was compared to buying a kit. It won't change my behavior (buying kits), but it would still be interesting to know.

Cheers,

Vince
Hi Vince, I never evaluate the cost of a project. The only thongs I know is it'S less than the original price. ABd the price is not all. as said by Ed, Scratchbuilding is a large part of my fun in this Hobby. I like to buy kit, and build them due to learn experience with them. Each kit conceptor have is own way and method to assemble their product. There nothing comparable between an FSM kit and a Fos Kit or a sierra west scale kit, they're all unique and provide a very good experience. ANd on the other side, scractchbuilding is a personal challenge. and I like this kind of challenge.

Eric

EricQuebec

Quote from: engine909 on January 28, 2018, 03:01:56 PM
Eric, Your skills are remarkable. Great textures. The sequence of buildings looks very natural.
Vince, Most people scratch build not to save money. In the end it usually takes much more time. So if time is money to you, scratch building is more costly.
ed
Your right Ed.
Thank you for your comment and interest.
Eric

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Mark Dalrymple

Looking fantastic, Eric!

I always enjoy watching your projects come to life.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Eric:

Looks just great so far. Am following along.

Karl