SOKOL'S from Bar Mills, a different version

Started by adm.nelson, September 10, 2017, 05:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adm.nelson

I don't recall posting on here before, so am not too sure about posting pictures. We'll see how it goes. But earlier this year I finished a new take on Sokol's by Bar Mills. After seeing the excellent build by 'readingbob', I thought I'd share my version. I almost never build a kit right out of the box, always enhancing or changing it in some way. I noticed that the building was a mattress company, but they didn't provide anything to represent mattress's, so I made my own. They were constructed out of Sculpy. I scratchbuilt a wagon to transport them, and added two horses off the side getting a break before another haul. The added piping on the side had rusted and leaked so bad, the owner had a company come out to replace it all. These two scenes are based on real prototypes, as the "J.C.Flood & Co., Plumbing and Heating actually existed, and the wagon is a copy of one I also found on the web carrying mattresses from the early 1900's I think. So, hoping to see if the pictures come up here.

adm.nelson

OK, that worked. I saw there was a max of 6, so will add another posting. Hope you enjoyed.

cuse

MAP

Excellent build!  Really nice weathering and details.
Mark

adm.nelson

John and Mark, thank you. It's always interesting to see a different take on the same model.

Tony Burgess

GPdemayo

Excellent work..... 8)

Welcome to the forum.....great start, 'cause you know we love pictures.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Hi Tony,

You did and absolutely wonderful job on Sokil's!  I really like the changes/additions you made.  They really give life to the structure. 

Welcome to the forum and by the way, thanks for the kind words on my build.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

sdrees

This is some real nice work and I like the added details.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Zephyrus52246

Welcome to the forum.  Wonderful work.  Especially the details and finishes.

Jeff

fsmcollector67

Tony,
Very nice work, and Welcome to the Forum....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

donatode

Love it Tony. Especially love that "brickwork" road by the loading dock...very realistic.

tom.boyd.125

Tony,
Welcome to the Forum... :)...Nice work on this Bar Mills limited run offering... 8)...Thanks for sharing...!
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

adm.nelson

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. And thank you for the kind welcome. Scratchbuilding is more my 'to-go-to' type of modeling, and when I do a kit, as I did here, I change it all up. I was at the 37th narrow gauge convention last month and visited with Mike and Korie from Wild West models, and Mike said, after I bought their Victorian house kit, he can't wait to see how I am going to change that model; word gets around. Might be a bit of a challenge, but I'll find a way.

Right now I am scratchbuilding a freelance style engine shed and car shop. Here is a picture of what I have done so far. Should I start another thread here?

Thank you all again.

Tony Burgess

Gerald Mabry

Great work, I went to visit Mr. Sokol last year and operated on his layout. The original building that Mr. Sokol built is pretty impressive as well. Welcome to the layout, I hope to see more from you.