2020 Winter Build Challenge

Started by Raymo, December 09, 2019, 08:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

So here I am doing my annual "Beating of the drum" to see if any one is interested in a build challenge to help promote the forum. I've noticed this year that the forum member count has almost doubled in size and when I check on people on the forum they seem to be looking at the gallery or checking out build threads, especially the Fine Scale ones. The rules are the same as usual, January 1st to April 15th. Build anything, building, vehicle, boat, bridge, whatever you want, as long as it pertains to the railroading scales. And last but not least, DO A BUILD THREAD! Some people get into more detail than others when doing one, but do your best. We've had some great looking models done over the years and this year should be no different. So pick out a "shelf orphan" and see you on Jan 1st!  Raymo

S&S RR

I'm in!  I have an FSM Coal tower that will probably get some customizing to fit my spot on the layout. It should fit into the timing just fine. Is this the forth annual build challenge?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

I'll find something.  Likely to be a scratch-build.

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

I'm in , might just be what I need to get busy again.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

I usually have a build thread going anyway so what the heck.  I'm in.   ;)  I'll be starting Bar Mills Seckler's Cold Storage shortly but that may not be my challenge build because I hope to be pretty far along with it before January 1st.  I think I have another kit or two in the stash that might fit the bill.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Not  sure yet, I'll decide later.

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

JimF

I'm in, maybe it will get me better at remembering to take pics, and write up my progress.

I s**k at it, so far LOL

I have, recently, pretty much decided my interests in different periods (and scales) has been getting in my way with making any decent progress with the large diorama.

So, I'm now leaning towards just building what I want, HO and or O, and making small scenes.

I'm leaning towards this gas station, I think, for the challenge.

Jim

Raymo

Sounds like some great builds coming up. I'll attempt to build the Company House by Nick and Nora Designs

jimmillho

If I get out of here and can find something I can handle, I am in.

Jim

Oldguy

You bet.  I'm in.  Seriously considering:
Image result for dabler mill
But this thing is huge and don't know if I'll have space on the layout for it.  If not, I'll find a plan B. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Great choice, Bob!

I don't think I have ever seen a build thread on this kit.  I have used its design as inspiration on two different scratch-builds over the years.  I found the plans in an old MRR magazine.

Cheers, Mark.

jrmueller

Would participate if Forum would not keep telling me database error. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

deemery

Well, I started Motrak's "Bisgeier Tools" 2 weeks ago, but I'll enter that, and my continuation of Winchendon Machine.  They're paired as shown here.  Wichendon will have a fully detailed interior (hence my experiments with tiny magnets). 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Janbouli

Quote from: Oldguy on December 10, 2019, 09:27:29 PM
You bet.  I'm in.  Seriously considering:
Image result for dabler mill
But this thing is huge and don't know if I'll have space on the layout for it.  If not, I'll find a plan B.
I think I have done the same kit in N-scale , it's by American Model Builders  and called Hinkle Milling Co.

I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Preach on Brother Dan !!!!

Count me in.

I'll build The House On The Hill from Polar Lights in HO.

Jaime