Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This new shop configuration should really help with the big builds that I have planned for the next few years. I like combining multiple kits into a diorama on the workbench before moving them to the layout. This setup provides  a layout bench, a detailing bench, and three benches for diorama buildups. Let the fun begin.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

John, You did a Beautiful job.... you did the v pattern where everything is arm reach.........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Nice work area, John.

Looking forward to those big builds!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 09, 2019, 11:09:16 PM
John, You did a Beautiful job.... you did the v pattern where everything is arm reach.........Dennis

Dennis

Thank you - I have spent a few hours with the old configuration so I knew what I wanted to change with this remodel. It will be interesting to see if this helps me get closer to "Karl" speed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 10, 2019, 01:16:33 AM
Nice work area, John.

Looking forward to those big builds!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the complements, I'm looking forward to getting started on those big builds. The Threadwell's and Vogel Tool & Die build last winter convinced me that big dioramas is the way to go.  I have actually created a plan which breaks the layout up into build sections. Lots of bench size sections.

I'm really enjoying your build thread - speaking of big builds.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I'm back from my fishing trip and ready to start using that new shop area. I will be opening a yellow box today, along with a few yours working on the wiring in the new section of the layout.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, Cant wait to see your amazing work................Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on July 13, 2019, 11:16:19 AM
Hey John:

great work benches. Just beautiful.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, I spent a good part of the day adding a shelf here, storing clamps there, and generally getting things organized. For those that are suffering from back issues, like I am, raising the work benches 2 inches really helped.  I wanted them so I could work on a baseboard without bending over.  They will work now for most dioramas and I will use buildups to get things were I need them for the odd shaped baseboards.  If you remember my Threadwell's build the baseboard started out 6 inches below my work bench. The key for me is nothing goes lower than the bench surface - higher is okay.  I did get the cover off the FSM Fox Run kit - that's about as far as I got, today.  I kept coming up with more organizational projects.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Since I've been spending most of my time working on my workshop and wiring there hasn't been many picture taking opportunities the last couple of weeks.  This morning I printed out a draft version of the backgrounds for my control panels and thought they may be of interest.  The blue boxes will be were the touch controls will be placed.  The black numbered boxes are the power districts (color coded) - an on/off switch will be on the control panel for each power district. This drawing will go under the plexiglass face of the control panel. The LED lights of the touch switches will show through where you see the circles.  The box showing location of the touch switches will be gone in the final printing.  I also have some editing to do.

The switch numbers (in red) are very useful for wiring but will probably also be deleted for the control panels.

John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

I like the control panel drawings.  What program did you use for these?

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 14, 2019, 01:59:37 PM
I like the control panel drawings.  What program did you use for these?

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks - I use a program called TurboCAD that runs on my MAC. The drawings of my full layout that I have posted in the past were created using the same program.
John Siekirk

bparrish

John....

If you are not careful....  you're going to end up with a real railroad on your hands.

I may have to plan a trip to Michigan sometime to witness this  ! ! !

Thanx'
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?