CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Quote from: darrylhuffman on November 10, 2019, 02:12:23 AM
Jaime, my old friend,

I will be following your progress on this build with interest.

There has been discussion of glues.

Elmer's has changed the formula for Glue-All which has been my standard for decades and I'm not sure how the new formula works.

Lately I have been using the little applicators shown in the photo.

I dilute Pacer's Canopy Glue a little bit so it will flow nicely through the metal tube.

This is much faster than my old toothpick and puddle of Elmers method.

This also gives a stronger bond.
Howdy!

I have in the past used the Pacer glue. It does bond well. The one thing I didn't like about it is it reacted with my skin and left my fingers all itchy after a session of modeling. I tend to clean up glue joints with my fingers and have not tired the applicators. I need to give the applicators a whirl.

I did try that Flamingo glue before and it works great. It comes with a built in applicator. However, the Flamingo glue is corrosive and if left to dry on the applicator it causes undesirable effects. Even the makers of the glue suggest to rinse the applicator in water after each use.

Isn't it wacky how there are some man ways to get our hobby tasks accomplished. Makes life interesting.

On a different note relate to my build, it is not good to hoard spray cans of model paints (Testors, Floquil, etc..). They just don't hold up well over the years. Use fresh cans of spray paint.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 09, 2019, 04:07:16 PM
Jaime,

I'm my last rattle can of the cheap Walmart primer.  Since I knew it was only a matter of time I started searching for an acceptable substitute.  I use either Krylon or Rustoleum Camo colors to prime castings.  I like the tan or khaki colors.  I find they can be sprayed in thin coats, do not obscure details, and dry dead flat so my acrylics stick well as top coats.  HTH.

Looking good so far.
I have tried the Rustoleum camo paints and the competitor's. They are nice. I wish they made a grey shade though. The tan and olive shades definitely dry fast and dead flat. They are a good choice.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: engine909 on November 09, 2019, 04:01:36 PM
Nice work Jamie. I am just finishing the O scale John Allen Engine House. Than maybe a Cedarhill kit. It would be my first one. I look forward to more posting from a great modeler.
ed
The John Allen engine house is undoubtedly one of the most railroady structures out there. I once read an article by Allen himself (I believe it was published in the NMRA Bulletin) about how he built the engine house. I was floored when I found out the engine house was built out of card stock. Yep, the original John Allen engine house is not made out of wood. It is made out of paper. Amazing.

My good friend Bob Piezcyk (may he rest in peace) scratch built an HO version of that engine house. I need to dig through my stash of models as his widow let me keep many of Bob's models. I have several scratch built FSM inspired ones Bob made and they are dead on to the magazine ad photos.

I hope you post your O scale engine house as it is always a treat to view one of them in any scale.

Jaime

MAP

Looking great Jaime!  Your colors & weathering technique are excellent.  I've been using the camo spray colors for a while now on detail parts & love how they dry so flat.  I'll have to give it a try on walls.
Mark

Opa George

Walls look great, Jaime.  I'm enjoying following along.
With regard to rattle can paints, I have begun using the Rustoleum camo colors whenever I can. Between those and red, black, white and gray primer, I get a fair variety of base colors for castings and walls.  I, too, have noticed that spray cans do not age well, so try not to "stock up" too much.  One exception I noted is Rustoleum metallic aluminum, which I have had for years and it still works like new. Must have something to do with the pigments.
--George

darrylhuffman

Jaime,

Rather than use your fingers to clean up glue joints, why not use a cheap brush? 

I keep an open bottle of water on my desk.

Run your brush along the joint and drop your brush into the water.

Next time you need it just swirl it around and blot on a paper towel.  Then it is ready to absorb some more glue.

You can also run a toothpick along the joint to pick up the excess glue.

I can't imagine building a model with glue on my fingers.

If you get one of the applicators I suggested you can put a micro dot of glue on your wood.

I think if you try one you will love it.  It's the only way I ever apply white glue anymore.

They are dirt cheap on Amazon. 

Darryl
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Janbouli

I use cotton swabs to take away excessive glue , absorbs immediately .
I love photo's, don't we all.

postalkarl

Jaime:

I'm following your build and it looks great sofar.

Karl

ACL1504

Jaime,

I agree, looking good and well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

engine909

I clean up excessive glue with the toothpick end that I put in my mouth. The none glue end. Some glues you never want to reverse this. The wetness helps. Knife blade for between wooden shingles.
I love these discussions. When Mr. Huffman speaks I pay attention. One sign of how smart I am. There are many signs that indicate the opposite.
ed

NEMMRRC

Howdy.

I had to make a last minute business trip. It was cheaper for me to drive than to fly. So, I listened to about 12 hours of model train podcasts. Man have I missed a ton of stuff in the last 2.5 years. That'll learn me to stay preoccupied with work instead of trains.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. I have read them all and have heeded your advice and even ordered some new modeling supplies.

One lesson I learned when I first began to make these build threads was to photograph my progress and pay attention to what I've done. I'm about to show you how that pays off.

I added details to the windows on the little office. Mainly I weather the window castings and add some glazing and windows shades. I have tried many things to simulate window glass and I have arrived at the conclusion that the acetate provided by the kit manufacturer is more than sufficient. I don't like how "glass" turns out when using the canopy glue. I tried the gallery glass and I didn't care for that. I think I even tried white glue once. I have not tried the microscope slides. Regardless, I use the clear acetate in th kit.

I cut the acetate to size and glue it to the inside of the wall so as to cover the window opening. I use any form of white glue (Elmer, canopy, Aileen's, etc.) to affix the acetate to the walls.

I then cut out some white typing paper (or a colored sticky note) and cover as much of the window as I want the "window shade" to cover. Be sure to use a straight and true edge at the bottom of the "shade".

I then take some grey chalk/pastel/powder and dirty up the window. I spread the powder around with a soft brush. Go easy on it.

And this is what you get.

And this is the end result on the structure so far.

Did you see what I did there?

I glued one of the windows upside down. Furthermore, some of the glue squeeze out turned stringy and dried up.

So I fixed the happy accidents thanks to the photos I made. Maybe I ought to just photograph a built up model and stare at that instead of building them.... Naaahh.

Stay tuned for more.

Jaime

darrylhuffman

Jaime,

I have been listening to HO Scale Customs podcasts driving to and from work.  Better than politics and hate radio.

What did you listen to on your drive?

Darryl

HOn3 from 1975
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

engine909

Darryl,
Been to over 3k concerts. Listen to everything. Going to Charleston Friday to hear a band that Keb Mo (Kevin) turned me on to. The band is Mungion and Magic Beans opens.
Shawn Calvin is playing the same night. Now if I could be at two places at one time.
Soon I will travel to Pelham, Tn.. The Caverns offer a similar vibe to Red Rocks in Colorado. Both spiritual in a real way. The blues singer Keb Mo played at The Caverns Sept.18th.. Was on PBS. November 30th., we will see The Annie Moses Band, six siblings plus a few more not related.
Was just viewing Rod Stewart's 124 model railroad he has at his mansion in LA. Neil Young also has a sweet layout.
ed

NEMMRRC

Quote from: darrylhuffman on November 12, 2019, 09:15:59 PM
Jaime,

I have been listening to HO Scale Customs podcasts driving to and from work.  Better than politics and hate radio.

What did you listen to on your drive?

Darryl

HOn3 from 1975
I listened to the HO Scale Customs podcast. I downloaded enough episodes to last my round trip. Normally I listen to Dave Ramsey every day and every so often I listen to The Accidental Tech Podcast. Years ago I would listen Leo Laporte's The Tech Guy. I used to listen to the Scotty Mason show back in its heyday.

Jaime

FandSM Engineer

Jaime

Taking progress photographs is the way I find all my mistakes. A camera is one of the most important modeling tools. Especially when you have to wear old man glasses like I do.  I can zoom in and look at the finest detail. 

On a another note reading through the posts you can add Phil Collins to the list of singers that has a model railroad on a millionaires budget. He said his goal was to have a bigger layout than Rod's. I have never seen pictures published. 

Your build is coming along great - really good to see you back at your workbench.

I listen to books on tape on my long drives.  Okay so I'm showing my age - I download books onto my iPad and bluetooth them to my radio.

John Siekirk
S&S RR